Which planing / sharpening DVD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

If you had to pick one, which would you choose, David Charlesworth or Rob Cosman?

Thanks

Griggs,

doubt many people have both, i bought the charsworth dvd and production quality aside I learned a lot from it. If you were to get the cosman disk i would glady lend you my disk if you were to do the same. It would only cost the price of postage :)

Tom

I have both planing and sharpening videos from both authors

Very different. I think that DCs planing video taught me the most of all of them. I would go for this one for planing every time. Cosman's is very good, but DC is a real plane aficionado and you can tell from the vid. To see a man hand thickness wood to within a thou or two is quite stunning :shock:

DCs delivery is a little (too) slow at times whereas RC moves at a sprightly pace and so RC si more 'watchable'

Sharpening videos? Very different. If you want freehand sharpening then RC is not and you want to use a guide, then DC again. I personally would not pay for the sharpening videos with hindsight. DCs for instance taught me nothing I didn't already know, however, it was useful to actually SEE him doing it and compare to my own efforts. unlike the planing videos, I learnt nothing.

Best woodworking videos in my opinion? RC dovetails.

Sharpening? Only seen DC's and it's okay as long as you want to learn his method.

Planing. DC is very good for us Normathal/Neanderite hybrids who tend to use hand planes on already machined stock. RC is genuinely from rough sawn stock to finished square; a rather less engineering approach than DC. Depends which you want to do I reckon. Just been watching Jim Kingshott and his approach is slightly different again, but difficult to get hold of over here anyway. I do love the way he manages to justify two or three planes for each operation though. :lol: To be honest you'd learn something from any of them.

Cheers, Alf

Back