Which Planer/Thicknesser - DeWalt 733S or Kity 1637?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Having discounted buying a Scheppach P/T, I am just restarting my hunt for a planer/thicknesser.

I have come down to the Kity 1637 and the DeWalt 733S. The DeWalt has rubber covered drive rollers, which for me is a big plus.

Does anyone own or have experience of either of these machines?

I would appreciate any input.

Cheers
Neil

Neil,

The Scheppach also has the rubber covered drive rollers. In fact correct me if i am wrong but were they not the first company to introduce these on a P/T?
Why have you discounted this excellent machine? This was one of the first machines that i owned and it served me very well. The only reason that i got rid of it was because i needed one with a larger capacity.

I have never used the Dewalt and so i cannot comment on it, but a friend of mine has a 1637 and having used it on a number of occasions i found it to be very good. The only problem he had was with the aluminum fence, which was hard to set and keep at 90 degrees, but he got over this by making up his own cast iron one. This problem is not isolated to Kity P/T's. I have been on many forums and read about the problems others have had with their ali fences, on both table saws and planner/thicknessers. Are there any other members that have had this problem?

So yes Neil the Kity is a good machine, but i believe the Scheppach is better. But do not take my word for it go to your local dealer and ask to try both these machines out.

Sorry mate i know this doesn't help you but it is my opinion.

Mike.C

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply about the Kity.

I must say that my preference is leaning morer towards the DeWalt.

I agree with your comments about the Scheppach, but I will not be going down that route.

I will probably make a final decision at the Stoneleigh show next month.

Cheers
Neil

Neil
I thought you were after the Scheppach - obviously something changed your mind ... - I hope my comments didn't put you off because I like the machine a lot? As to the Dewalt I was very close to getting that machine but never got to see it and didn't hear much about it.
Having said that, a chap called Alan on the "other" newsgroup replyed to one of my posts and said he was very happy with it. Minor niggles - I can't remember what. Also the recent issue of The Woodworker reviewed p/t's and said the Dewalt came out a very good machine. Although dust extraction wasn't brilliant apparently.

Mike
I have the scheppach 260 - and I would say the fence is probably the weakest point - hard to be set square and has to be done everytime you change anything. But I think this may be the case with most machines in this class? I wonder how difficult/ how much it would be to get a cast iron fence for the machine?

Cheers

Gidon

Has anyone yet seen or tried the new Axminster cast iron p/t.

I am very tempted by this new machine, but haven't seen any reports on it yet. Although being cast, one would hope that the 'flimsiness' of fences on the ali. machines is avoided.

Has anyone yet seen or tried the new Axminster cast iron p/t.

I am very tempted by this new machine, but haven't seen any reports on it yet. Although being cast, one would hope that the 'flimsiness' of fences on the ali. machines is avoided.

Did you ever get the dw733 ?? and if yes, whats it like or indeed whatever you ended up choosing :)

Hi Billzee

I haven't done anything yet.

My plans for completing the workshop have been delayed and I will not be doing anything before Stoneleigh.

Cheers
Neil

OK neil

I'm between the axminster ct330 and the dw733. The dw733 is a little cheaper but I haven't seen any reviews, the axminster seems to be quite liked though

Hi Billzee

The DW came top in one of the reviews last year, I can't remember which one, and it had an honourable mention in another. I have still not seen one in the flesh.

I don't know anything about the Axminster.

If I had the space, and the money, I would buy the Jet planer and thicknesser. The problem is that they are separate tools and, as such, take up a lot of space.

The GWW review said things such as, "Impressive long cast iron beds ensure longer stock has maximum support and is perfectly straight once planed." "The heavy cast iron fence runs very smoothly and locks firmly to the bed with a camlock lever." "The thicknesser may not quite match the planer ergonomically but it is still a quality machine, capable of a fine finish."

Cheers
Neil

Neil, the ct330 has been given a good review here.

Also someone else has posted who has it and has waxed lyrical.

Anyways I checked Axminsters site this morning ( before I saw the post about it here) and see that they have discounted the ct330 to £302, cheaper than its lesser brother the ct344.

So..... Ive dived in and ordered one. :shock:

I can't wait :lol: :wink:

Billzee,

If you want a copy of GWW's planer/thicknesser group test mail me a fax number at the address below. Axminster CT344 & CT330, Dewalt733 & Rexon models were tested. Incidentially Dewalt have released the 735 in the States, wicked new design and three cutter head. I'm not a fan of Dewalt but this new model looks like the dogs u know whats. See it at
www.dewalt.com
I prefer the separate planer and jointer route. Got the Delta planer and hope to have a jet jointer soon....

Rgds

Noel

noel dot hegan at virgin dot net

CYC not annoying at all, a pertinent question :wink:

Our (i share my workshop with BIL) preference for separates is an issue of speed.

For example when making panels, joint and edge, rip it down and finally
running it through the thicknesser is a lot quicker with separates as you don't have to change the mode of the machine.

Signal

Humm, I didn't realise you needed to change mode on a combined machine. Does it require a lot of setting up each time you switch?
May be it also depends on the machine/brand. Again I'd love to hear from users of the Elektra beckum.

Noely, thanks for the offer, but a friend has a copy :).

Had to put off the delivery yesterday, should get it today.

Being just a novice @ this I have only worked with softwoods. Just fed up with paying through the nose @a premium for planed stuff that turns out cupped and twisted.

I really need to get my hands on some hardwood, but I'm not sure what is best to make a start on. It seems american oak is quite popular.

Any recommendations out there what wood to make a start on and where I might get it. I live in the extreme se of kent, I do not think there are any HD wood suppliers local to me. Would like to make a few jigs first ( hardwood and ply seems to be favoured) then try my arm @ something not to big or complex.

Can't wait for the Thicknesser :lol:

Back