Which plane for shooting board?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I entirely agree that MDF is the right material for a shooting board. Flat, and stable. Mine uses a beech fence, and I have a couple of angle jigs that fit onto it.

I got some PTFE tape, which I stuck to the track with aggressive double sided tape. That makes the plane glide really nicely.

I just use a 5 1/2 plane. But I really like the idea of a homemade shooting board plane - that looks really nice, John. What wood did you use?

Craig
The wood is Tasmanian leatherwood as beech is kinda hard to find here. Was a chunk I had in the turning stash and it was well seasoned so figured it would do. Made it about 6 years ago but have had some movement issues with it and twice have had to reflatten the sole. Our weather here is the problem with humidity ranges from less than 10% to 99%. It still does a good job but needs looking after so if I do come across a nice bit of beech I will likely remake it. I have a few old beech woodies that are not so affected so can see why beech is the wood of choice for planes.
Regards
John

A bit of heft helps, so 5 1/2 or possbly a 6 although that’s rarer and tends to be more expensive. For further info I use a No 62 for the low angle with a LN hot dog handle, also an expensive combo but it’s a good option for me and has many other uses.
I have a LN62 I haven't used for years, is it a good option? Maybe a bit light and sides not very deep?

I have a LN62 I haven't used for years, is it a good option? Maybe a bit light and sides not very deep?

It will do fine, I have used my low angle block plane on the shooting board before it was perfectly ok, if a bit tricky to hold.
Just make sure its nice and sharp.

Ollie

You can use any number of bench planes for shooting. A really good choice is the 5 1/2 as it’s got the width and the heft. Fabricating a basic shooting board is easy as many have noted.

But……..

I have had the chance to try out an original 51 and it’s awsome. I have first right of refusal on it as the owner is a bit on the fence selling it.

I did get a message from Thomas Lie-Nielsen this morning. They compleated another batch of 5 1/2 jack planes so they are tentatively available from the web site. But most importantly they are starting a batch of 51 planes which will be available toward the end of April. I am on the list.

The 62 plane will work as will the #9 plane but the #9 is hard to find. The thing I don’t like about the 62 is that it is a low angle plane. So is the Veritas shooting board plane.

while the low angle plane will work, you don’t have as much control over the lateral adjustment. One item I do like about shooting is that I can cut draft angles onto small parts for pattern work. It beats getting a manicure by a disc sander! So I prefer the standard frog arrangement.

At school some 65 years ago we used a wooden jack plane, but then it was the only plane we used.
Yes I remember school woodwork and the only plane was a Marples wooden jack. Used for everything. Makes me think how spoiled I am now that I have more planes than a sane man needs.
Regards
John

I used a Record no6 for years, until I got a LN51 off ebay. Mint hardly used in its box. Made up a shooting board for it from a kitchen worktop. A revelation! Glides through any wood like a knife through butter. So pleased with it, I am now making a copy of the iron no52 board, the ultimate shooting setup.

You can use any number of bench planes for shooting. A really good choice is the 5 1/2 as it’s got the width and the heft. Fabricating a basic shooting board is easy as many have noted.

But……..

I have had the chance to try out an original 51 and it’s awsome. I have first right of refusal on it as the owner is a bit on the fence selling it.

I did get a message from Thomas Lie-Nielsen this morning. They compleated another batch of 5 1/2 jack planes so they are tentatively available from the web site. But most importantly they are starting a batch of 51 planes which will be available toward the end of April. I am on the list.

The 62 plane will work as will the #9 plane but the #9 is hard to find. The thing I don’t like about the 62 is that it is a low angle plane. So is the Veritas shooting board plane.

while the low angle plane will work, you don’t have as much control over the lateral adjustment. One item I do like about shooting is that I can cut draft angles onto small parts for pattern work. It beats getting a manicure by a disc sander! So I prefer the standard frog arrangement.

Be careful of the Stanley #51 as it has has a fragile frog, often breaks and needs to be braised (as was mine). I replaced it with one of the first LN #51. Stunning plane. Later I received a Veritas version as part of the pre-production testing I have done for Lee Valley. I love the looks of the LN, but the Veritas is a better plane, and the bevel up configuration leads to the edge/sharpness lasting about double that of the LN when shooting end grain. I did not expect this when I began comparisons, and repeated them several times.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited:
I've gotten along fine without one, sometimes not all that elegantly I'll admit, but if I ever did get the notion to build a shooting board I would no doubt use a wooden-bodied plane on it, so sole-to-side squareness wouldn't be an issue.

Spending a ton of money on the accuracy required in a metal plane seems absurd when a woodworker is perfectly capable of making, and keeping, a relatively small block of wood square.

And using the lateral adjustment lever to make up for out-of-squareness of the plane -- that would be a total non starter for me.

Lousy two cents...

Just did a bit of shooting i.e. in the horizontal position plane on edge (haven't got a shooting board).
Found a 6 easier than smaller sizes as there's more to get a good hold of. If doing a lot a rigger glove would help too.

Back