which p/t?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i was in my local woodworking store and saw that they were doing an offer ona SIP planer thicknesser with dusst extractor for £499

i intended to buy the Perform P/T and dust extractor for £20 less!

now im a bit torn.... do i go for the decent maked one or not?!! i know it sounds silly but i didnt have time to actually inspect it so i dont know the capabilities of it yet, maybe the perform one can handle wider boards? im not sure on this!

well fire away!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

The SIP and the Perform are basically the same machine with different colour pant on!

I have a Perform one and last week at the Midlands woodworking show I saw the SIP one being demonstrated. Its pale green instead of bright yellow and some of the plastic knobs are a different moulding. :roll:
Most of these cut price bits of kit are all made in the same factory in China. :shock:

I purchased the SIP machine about 4 weeks ago and have no complaints to make except the installation and instruction book are terrible. ;However the telephone help line with SIP was excellent.

Had my SIP since November. Works really well and , yes, I would buy another.

It is basically an exact rip-off of the elektra bekum P/T - as is the perform.

devonwoody":2gxtu35y said:
I have no complaints to make except the installation and instruction book are terrible.

Pop along to the Axminster site and they have downloadable manuals. :)
The one for the planner/thicknesser is quite good, :lol: they had it rewritten in the UK as the supplied one is pants. :cry:

Any observations about noise levels from these machines would be appreciated.

Pete W":5n8xybd7 said:
Will they are induction motors so on the quieter side while idling.
When machining 8" cherry or iroko boards there is lots of noise from the wood being cut. A good pair of ear defenders is in order if you are going to make full use of the machine.

Pete W":1abrjt1z said:

HI Pete

I bought mine form a local shop. I was about to move house and thought that my brushed motored Delta thicknesser and Nutool planer would annoy the new neioghbours. I listened to it in the shop and was shocked at how quiet it is - induction motor. Clearly much louder when wood running through but still very quiet.
I can happily use it without ear protection.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks guys - hadn't realised they had induction motors. Or rather, I hadn't been able to find out!

It's amazing how few manufacturers take the noise issue seriously and provide information about machine noise levels. The magazines aren't much better - one month you get a group test with noise levels included; next month they're gone again.

Back