Which other plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horst Hohoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!
In the past all my woodworking has been done with machine tools, but in the last few years my interest in handtools grew more and more and culminated in taking two courses with DC. For the course I bought an LN No. 4 in bronze ( it just had to be a bronze plane ). For future projects
( workbench and others ) I think of acquiring something bigger. On the course I got of course infected with the 5 ½ virus. And of course there are other beauties like the No. 7, LA jointers or even a No. 8. So I’d like to ask your advice which other plane(s) would be the most sensible to buy. ( To make it quite clear: I’m just talking about bench planes bigger than No. 4 ).

Horst Hohoff":1s1elxcs said:
I’m just talking about bench planes bigger than No. 4 ).

My #7 Jointer is the workhorse of my shop - I use it for everything - smooothing, jointing, trimming up end grain etc.

Adam

After using a 7 at a course, I would definitly say that it compliments a 4 nicely. I'm in the process of making one, as they are very costly for a good one.

HI

I would say that I use my #7 and #5.5 equally. However, if I were to purchase only one, it would be the #7 (veritas LA jointer in my case).

The LN5.5 is superb and would be on my birthday/xmas list though :wink:

Horst,
The 5 1/2 is a great plane and I use mine a lot. However, I reckon your next purchase should be a No. 7 assuming you wish to make furniture where reasonably long boards need to be flattened. If you only ever made boxes for example then a 5 1/2 would be long enough.

the 4 stock plaanes for timber preperation are 1/ scrub plane, 2/ jack plane, 3/ jointer and 4/ smoother...

Latest posts

Back