Which One?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, some great tips and advice on here.

I've narrowed the choices of my first lathe down to two, the Draper WTL457, or the Charnwood W824.
I'm not going to be making spindles or pens, I'm more interested in making bowls and pots, I'd appreciate knowing what you guys think.

Cheers John.

My buying criteria was 12 inch swing, variable speed and cast iron construction, those 2 are good value.
Different manufacturers seem to use the same castings so I think there is some badge engineering going on.
Build wise, quality of bearings and materials might vary, so I'm looking for quality as well as usability.

Cheers John.

Look at Record Power or Axminster. Pop along to Turner's Retreat in Doncaster but be warned you will feel like Billy Bunter in a cake shop!

Hi, I've just replied in a different thread, but I have the charnwood w824 and really do like it. I've made all sorts of fun things with mine and its really easy to use. I love the electronic speed control. I really have nothing bad to say about it and would definitely recommend it.

I am not familiar with the W824 but i had a look and it seems like a decent machine and a good price.
Remember to factor in a stand when choosing.
I have been using a R. Power DML 320 almost everyday for three years with no problems at all.
There was a good deal with the stand included at the time.

Thanks for the input guys but I'm sorted.
I got an Axminster variable speed lathe, sk100 chuck with all the attachments, a set of chisels in a box, I've bought a set of Marples as well, a dust extractor, and a few logs as well, 10 months old £400, bargain.
Built my own stand out of seconds 33x65 and scrounged a worktop offcut, it's screwed to the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_20201010_123305~2.jpg
    IMG_20201010_123305~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back