Which old hand drills to look out for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":2byx07oz said:
I've prefer a (tiny!) brace for counter sinking. I've got a 5" sweep, not ratchet one with a counter sink permanently fixed in.

I use the exact same thing. I find the 5" sweep perfect for countersinking

I have just bought a Stanley 803 hand drill on ebay in very good visible condition, in it's box with the 42 Shillings price tag, and used it briefly to drill a couple of small holes in wood.

All very smooth to begin with, but now its getting hard to turn.

Should I squirt some WD 40 in it somewhere?

Thanks,

JAD

JAD":1cay9enr said:
I have just bought a Stanley 803 hand drill on ebay in very good visible condition, in it's box with the 42 Shillings price tag, and used it briefly to drill a couple of small holes in wood.

All very smooth to begin with, but now its getting hard to turn.

Should I squirt some WD 40 in it somewhere?

Thanks,

JAD

Not WD40 which is good at freeing things and removing water but is not a long-term lubricant.
The trad approach is to apply a few drops of light oil (eg 3-in1) on each gear shaft - there may be holes in the castings for this purpose.
This may pick up dust and clog up a little if not done often enough.

condeesteso":32bl8y1y said:
At risk of being 'on-thread' (hammer) , Andy mentioned having one hand-drill with dedicated countersink in. Very good idea indeed I think, and I recommend an Axminster chatter-free (5-10mm does almost all cabinet work). They come in 3 sizes but the middle (5 - 10) covers main cabinet work and having all 3 defeats the object of a dedicated drill ready to go all the time.
Since I got one of those I have never really used any other countersink (except in very tight spaces). It is a really good reason to get just one more egg-beater.

Sorry, an old thread, but I concur re the chatter free countersinks are fantastic.

condeesteso":n4nyotmf said:
...Andy mentioned having one hand-drill with dedicated countersink in....They come in 3 sizes ... It is a really good reason to get just one more egg-beater.
Phew, well that helps justify Friday evening's purchase...
Chapman and Keen.jpg
...especially as I already have a Stanley 803 and a Keen. But at $2.50 (~£1.25) what is a guy supposed to do?

Going by the photo, the Chapman looks almost identical to my Stanley 803 except for the chuck. The other may or may not be a Keen, but it looks the same from this distance. I'll know more when they arrive, hopefully by the end of the week.

So now I have to go buy 2 more countersinks... :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Chapman and Keen.jpg
    Chapman and Keen.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,106
Re the Stanley 803 - excellent small drills I think. I found my old one a while ago (aubergine handles, black lacquered frame casting, flame-red crown wheel). Stripped the whole thing down and removed all paint (it's not a collector-piece). What lies beneath is really nicely done: beech handles, fine alloy casting, the crown is plated (nickel?). Came up a treat. I have a small bit permanently fitted for piloting small brass screws. The 803 is very well made I think, and a handy compact size. When you strip it, watch out for the steel ball under the chuck shaft... really easy to lose that!
803.jpg

Attachments

• 803.jpg
    803.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,096
Hi Douglas, that's an interesting picture from the point of view of a collector; the frame of your 803 is different to mine, a more solid casting rather than a Millers Falls type ladder frame. Now I will have to look out for another one! It never ends!!! :mrgreen:

Back