Which oilless compressor. ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recipio

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,
I know this has been done to death but I need a compressor for intermittent spraying only. I have a vertical Clarke compressor but would be concerned about the amount of oil in the drainage water and really don't want to get into oil separators if an oilless compressor would do the job. What HP and capacity would be considered the minimum for paint and varnish spraying ? For HVLP fans out there I tried an Apollo unit many years ago and found it hopeless so I'll stick with compressed air. :giggle:

I have just got the Impax OM227-24 CM2 PROE3625 24Ltr Air Compressor, I have only used it for nailing/stapling so far.
Bit on the noisy side but when full it cuts off, so make a brew while it is filling.
I am going to use it for painting but need to change the fittings on my can first.
So far I like it , it is just a budget one so it will have its limits.

I realise you are worried about oil getting into the gun, but surely you must be running moisture traps anyway. A small upgrade to your filtration must be cheaper than a new compressor. I wouldn`t suggest anything less than 150 liter tank if you are getting a new one.

Ollie

I realise you are worried about oil getting into the gun, but surely you must be running moisture traps anyway. A small upgrade to your filtration must be cheaper than a new compressor. I wouldn`t suggest anything less than 150 liter tank if you are getting a new one.

Ollie
Thanks.
I have an oil separator but somehow have no faith in it. They all seem to be cheap units made in China and I'm a bit sceptical that they will get all the oil out of the air. If I spend a month making something I'm not going to risk spraying a dodgy finish on it ! The Clarke compressor makes a considerable racket so I am looking for feedback on the so called 'silent' compressors now available. 150 litres is a big compressor but I'd be prepared to spend the hard earned if I got a guaranteed result.

Can`t speak for oil less specifically (though they do offer them), I have a NU Air compressor with 150 litre tank and a 3hp motor. NUAIR NB2800B/150/3M TECH Air Compressor - 12.5 CFM, 3 HP, 2.2kW, 150L, 230V

For similar money to machine mart ones it is certainly better. I previously had a 50 litre clarke one which was too small and extremely rattly and loud.

Sometimes you can find dental compressors second hand on ebay, these are often very high spec machines and can be a bargain.

Ollie

I am looking for feedback on the so called 'silent' compressors now available...
I picked up one recently (Hyundai HY27550 11CFM, 1500w, 2HP, 50 Litre Oil Free Air Compressor) that they market as "low noise" as opposed to silent. It replaces my old Nu air compressor that I hated using as it was so LOUD. The Hyundai was excellently packaged and whilst a long way shy of silent, it's certainly not offensively noisy like the machine it replaces. Up until now I've only used it for inflating stuff,blowing sawdust everywhere and firing off some brads so can't really help with how "oil free" I find the air it provides. I have sprayed fairly recently but with the older compressor and without particular concern on the finish it gave as the item I was painting will never be seen by anything other than dogs. In my case,the prime requirement was to not be so noisy and in that respect it delivers in spades.

Thanks.
I think the point is that you don't mind a compressor running if the noise is tolerable. Some of them are being marketed as ' Ultra Quiet ' The price you pay is that the cheaper 50L models are almost certainly made in China ( even Hyundai ) and are direct drive. However, if they hold up to occasional use they might just be worth a punt ?

These look like really nice compressors - the slightly larger model also looks good and the reviews are excellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TJRR87L
The availability of UK support from a non-man-and-dog operation is also an attraction... plus they're certainly beefy enough in real performance to driver any air tool, which smaller/weaker compressors struggle with, and good for spraying too.

Face it: Most stuff is made in China and unless it's really cheap tat, is absolutely fine in most cases.

Sorely tempted...

Back