Which of these two routers...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I'm afraid this is one of those "tell me what to do posts".

I thought I'd made up (what passes as) my mind that a Freud FT2000VCE was the router for me. My mission is a kitchen worktop joint, btw.

Amazon have 58 reviews of this beast, and discounting the five people who obviously didn't understand the collet locking nut assembly and gave it 1 star thinking it was faulty, there were 4 who said that the router base wasn't flat, causing it to actually rock. One person considered it was rocking because material was getting between the sub base and the base, which sounds like it could be the same problem.

A couple complained about the plunge locking mechanism which apparently requires a lever to be lifted to release the lock before it can be plunged down or up (apparently, it's usually the other way around) and this was considered difficult to manage.

One person said he couldn't make an accurate plunge cut because the router body rocked sideways relative to the base. He returned it thinking it was faulty, but was told it was within Freud's acceptable tolerances.

Pretty much every one else gave it 4/5 or 5/5 with a few other criticisms: cheap/dodgy edge guide, bit heavy for hand held use.

The other router I've seen of similar power and price is the DeWalt DW624 -which I can't find any reviews for. So, assuming you needed the power for a worktop, which would you choose between these two - or at least have you any observations about them? (I've given main differences according to Screwfix):

1. Freud FT2000VCE (£165)
1900W
1/2'' and 1/4'' collets
3 preset plunge settings
Apparently good precision depth guide err...thingy.
Soft start
Max plunge depth 65mm
Weight 5.8 kg

2. DeWalt DW624 (£170)
1600W
1/2" collet
Depth of cut 62mm
Max cutter dia 40mm
Weight 5.1kg

Square

I've just noticed that the DeWalt doesn't have variable speed.

Oh well, unless anyone else has any suggestions, looks like it'll be a Freud. Think I'll check the base for flatness in the shop.

Square

Hi Steve,

It's very charitable of you to pay the difference. ;-)

Square.

Square":1xh4trba said:
A couple complained about the plunge locking mechanism which apparently requires a lever to be lifted to release the lock before it can be plunged down or up (apparently, it's usually the other way around) and this was considered difficult to manage.
My Bosch does that. I think. So long since I used it... :oops: It's not a problem, you soon get used to it.

To be honest, I think a 1/2" router without variable speed is a bit limiting. You wouldn't be able to use the larger diameter cutters on it for instance. So I agree with you, go for the Freud, especially as you can check it over in the shop.

Cheers, Alf

Square,

Although I'm a happy owner of the Freud that doesn't mean it's the one for you. I've never come across the issues that you mention regarding the base and granted the fence is pressed steel but I think the machine itself is quite capable.
Here's some more reviews anyway
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_Tools ... y_~reviews

What's your budget, BTW?

Rgds

Noel

Square

Perhaps it is worth spending a litle more and getting the porter cable. Often voted best on test (especially in US mags) and I love mine

Comes with an extruded alloy fence + micro adjuster built into the plunge. Very quiet and the base is dead flat.

Tony

James: £190 for a Makita 3612CX ? Good of you to pay the VAT for me. :) What a nice forum this is! Seriously though, I'm now thinking about this one. Makita are supposed to be pukka, aren't they? Maybe worth the extra for peace of mind, I don't know. Did you check the fence? Several people here saying it's rubbish. Is it functional? How much for something more useable?...anyone?

Tony: Porter Cable? Hmm. I think I'm already sliding down the slippery slope of: "maybe I'll spend a bit more and it'll solve all my life's problems" fast enough, thanks. :)

DaveJester: I'm still confused about this. There is a 30 mm bush available for the the Freud. Does that fact make the Trend sub base, it's alignment collet and pin system unnecessary? I thought that it (the Trend alignment stuff) was recommended for ensuring concentricity and hence accuracy when cutting a worktop, regardless.

Thanks everyone else, too.

Square

Square

PC is 'only' £249.95 (inc.vat) from Rutlands. I bought mine from there and they delivered within a week and a half.

Take your point though, this is loads more than you intended to pay :(

I have found from bitter experience (and financial loss) that cheap kit is generally not as good as more expensive kit and though it pains me greatly to say it, American kit (only experienced Delta, PC, LN and veritas (I know, thay are Canadian) ) is extremely good quality

Good luck

Tony

Hitachi are good. I use M12V on my table and have a 20yr old TR12 still going strong.

Indecisiveness update:

Not many places selling Porter Cable in UK, so I'm a bit worried about support.

I'm now considering the Makita 3612C and the DeWalt 625. Pat Warner (whoever he is) called the DW625 the best plunger of its size in the US. I've also found a couple of net reviews where the DW625 has come out at the top (don't know much about the reviewers though).

http://www.patwarner.com/625_offset.html

http://www.iswonline.com/cwb/199912/routers.shtml

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/rreview.shtml

But although the DeWalt 625 *might* be best, I've got it into my head that it's likely to be less reliable than the Makita 3612C -partly because of Black&Decker- and also because the Makita 3612C seems to have been around a long time; the Dewalt 625 is fairly new(?). I've also heard DeWalt's customer support might be suspect.

Hmm....just thinking aloud....

I know... "stop faffing about and buy something...anything!"

Square

Cor, you've already lost a W/Ends worth of projects with it (whatever you might choose), don't delay too long, otherwise you won't have time to get it delievered before Friday (i.e. start of next weekend!)

Adam :wink:

Square,

The DeWally 625 is as old as the hills. Used to be the Elu MOF177E for about a hundred years before that. :wink: If it helps at all, GWW picks it for their choice of heavy duty router in the June issue (came out in February I think... :lol: ) On the other hand, 'cos I don't want to make it too easy for you, support for PC is not a problem. Hamilton Power (or something like that) deal with servicing, spares and so forth and were fine when we had a small issue with our biscuit jointer.

Incidentally, I see stretching the budget has infected you too. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Good point, Adam. Bank Holiday too. :shock:

Hi Alf

Alf":3kw6jgul said:
Square, The DeWally 625 is as old as the hills.

The motor was updated about six/eight weeks ago to 2,000 watts and the plunge depth increased to 80mm. It is still accepted as the tradesmans' best workhorse router by the SFX forum.

Hi Square

The DW seems to be cheapest from D&M. DEWALT DW625EK 2,000WATT 240VOLT, CASE & FINE HEIGHT ADJUSTER 239 inc.vat.

Cheers
Neil

Square,

If not the Freud, PC then. Simple choice.

Rgds

Noel

If you decide on the Makita (which is superb BTW), check out this deal on dm-tools - you are basically betting a Makita laminate trimmer for £20. I wish it had been around when I bought mine...

click on image to go to the site

I considered getting the PC, but decided against it because a) all the adjustments were imperial and I wanted metric b) it seemed a little underpowered and c) I worried about getting parts easily, whereas I can get parts for the Makita even from my local hardware store 6 miles down the road.

I would also consider the revised DW625 - the new version wasn't out when I got the 3612C but I would have been tempted by the 80mm plunge depth. Also the fence is better than the Makita's if this is important to you.

Sorry to suggest something which involves spending even more money, but it is a bargain :)

Oh - just thought I'd better add - the Makita doesn't come with a guide bush, so you would have to get one for your kitchen worktop job.

NeilCFD

Newbie_Neil":26snr45t said:
The motor was updated about six/eight weeks ago to 2,000 watts and the plunge depth increased to 80mm.
Ah, didn't know that, Neil. Could be that "never buy version 1.0" applies then. :?

If I didn't know better, I'd reckon some of youse guys are running a book on how high you can get Square's budget to go. :lol: (Have you tried trailing the Festool yet...? :wink: )

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back