Which of these scrapers...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleyheathhays

Established Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to drop some $$ on my first set of wood turning tools and I've got everything figured out except my scraper. I'm primarily interested in turning bowls and could use some advice on which one of these three I should get.

In order, the below pictures are:

1) Hurricane M2 Cryo 1" (x3/8") Heavy Duty Bowl Finishing Scraper....$114
2) Hurricane M42 Cryo 3/4" Bowl Finishing Scraper .......................................$82
3) Hurricane M2 Cryo 1" Round Nose Scraper ....................................................$76

At first I was thinking of getting the cheaper 1" round nose and grind / sharpen so that it has the profile of a bowl scraper. Is it ok to do this, or should I go for one of the other tools that are actual bowl scrapers? And if so, what's the advantage / functionality of the heavy duty scraper vs. the smaller 3/4" one?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You say first set of tools so it sounds like you are just starting out with your own kit. I would get a pretty standard 3/4 inch dome or round head scraper, not cryo, use it and sharpen it and work out what it can and can't do then in time spend the bigger money on exactly what you want or as above get some hss bar.

I started out 2 years ago and I am still happily using my original 3/4 HSS scraper, I added a 1/2 inch one for smaller work.

My limitation is skill and time to practice, not the longevity of the tool 😊

Agree with RC Z-- also there's been a lot of hype about cryo for at least 20 years, but little in the way of good evidence, more like anecdotal, less scientific, although I'm quite prepared to believe it may have some benefits for some alloys in some uses.

Agree with RC Z-- also there's been a lot of hype about cryo for at least 20 years, but little in the way of good evidence, more like anecdotal, less scientific, although I'm quite prepared to believe it may have some benefits for some alloys in some uses.
I have cryo gouges, they are better I find especially for materials like casein and acetates - whether it is justifiable for scrapers I don't know. I've cut stuff cleanly with them when I've struggled to do so with a good ashley Isles HSS (identical grind).

Thanks for the advice everybody. Yes that is a good chunk of $$ for a scraper. Never thought of getting one used off eBay. I'll check it out and see what's available.

Get as heavy a one as you can too, personally I bought a second hand one which was square ended 45mm wide and 6-7mm thick hss, I ground it to a round ended negative rake (that is, it was ground with two bevels like a skew chisel) and I use that all the time for finishing off bowl interiors, it takes the finest shavings and leave the bowl free of ridges and bumps. You do need to keep such a scraper sharp though.

Get as heavy a one as you can too, personally I bought a second hand one which was square ended 45mm wide and 6-7mm thick hss, I ground it to a round ended negative rake (that is, it was ground with two bevels like a skew chisel) and I use that all the time for finishing off bowl interiors, it takes the finest shavings and leave the bowl free of ridges and bumps. You do need to keep such a scraper sharp though.

Good advice there and from everyone else. I made a scraper very similar to the one you mentioned a while ago. I think it was about £9 for the HSS (40mm width and 8mm thick). Couple of hours work..and I'm no metalworker. Hardest part was cutting the tang.
Ground to negative rake (35/35) and its very nice to use but ,as mentioned, needs frequent sharpening.
Been meaning to make a couple of 3/4" ones (flat and round) as I quite enjoyed the process.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 13
Back