Which new TV?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't rely on spec or instinct, but go and look at them. And don't just look at the 4k demo material, see how they look with Freeview or whatever source is nearest to how you will use it. If you watch sport a lot, look for something with a lot of movement - things like football or F1 where most of the backround is moving are more taxing on the compression / decompression. I went intending to buy Panasonic, but have bought Sony against my instinct for the last 2 TVs because the picture was visibly better with average quality sources.

Neither are great TV brands I'm afraid. What's your budget, and how far away from it do you sit?

Thanks both.
We'll be going along to Curry's this evening so will certainly do what we can to compare quality as you describe, Tony (though they don't have the Blaupunkt there, but it'll give us a chance to see what impact different specs have in practice, hopefully - though tbh, last time I did that I walked out with my head in a spin at all the over-saturated, flashing images I'd been seeing on different scale tvs!).
And yes, I know this is at the very bottom end of the 1080p market, LancsRick - unless there are better brands for the same kind of price (up to £200)? It'll be watched at pretty close quarters (10' maybe?) - I wondered if a bigger screen would make your eyes ache as they move around the screen?

Most TV's these are all made in the same factory in Turkey with a different badge on it.

We got a new TV for my mother recently. She ummed over brands until I pointed out they all had near identical specs, looked the same, were all made in Turkey and the only difference between the brands was the price (the perceived value). She settled on a Panasonic as it was the cheapest of that style. Very happy with it, picture quality is excellent.

Blimey that LG does look good for the money.

Whats the sound like ? I've heard some of these new fangled tv's need a separate sound bar due to a lack of mass.

To be honest I'd swerve them both as unless I've missed it, neither seems to have any Smart technology.

It's really handy having a tv with inbuilt wifi and apps like Netflix, YouTube and the various catch up apps like All4, iPlayer etc

Not sure if any are in that price range but I've always bought Samsung tvs and they've been brilliant.

Chris, would suggest a 32" unless you've a large living room. Maybe 40" would be ok. And don't get a silver one!!!! (so 90s) Has to be black .
I would have no issues with any of the two brands you've mentioned, along with any others at that price point. We've something similar (Hannspree 32) and there is a lot of sport watched in the house and no complaints. In the old CRT days would've stuck with Sony/Panny but LCD seems to be a good standard these days that most offerings are good.
As Oscar mentions Smart capability might be a thought but not a big thing in our house (always an HDMI lead).

OscarG":mw90y32c said:
To be honest I'd swerve them both as unless I've missed it, neither seems to have any Smart technology.

It's really handy having a tv with inbuilt wifi and apps like Netflix, YouTube and the various catch up apps like All4, iPlayer etc

Not sure if any are in that price range but I've always bought Samsung tvs and they've been brilliant.

All TV's come with that now, including the ones mentioned.

Not all TVs are smart TVs. Not all smart TVs run Android, some of the cheaper ones use their manufacturer's proprietary OS, which may limit what apps are available. We replaced out Sony non-smart TV with a smart TV to be free of Firesticks and other clutter hanging out the back. The new Sony is good, but does occasionally have a funny turn requiring a power cycle to restore sanity. But doesn't most modern tech.

Mr_Pea":jfr908oh said:
Blimey that LG does look good for the money.

Whats the sound like ? I've heard some of these new fangled tv's need a separate sound bar due to a lack of mass.

Yes I wouldn't count on the sound being all that good from any flat TV.

Ideally hook it up to an AV receiver with surround sound speakers. Failing that a sound bar.

You do realise Chris what you should've done is not post here and go and buy the TV your kids decide on?
Decisions, decisions... : )

Sheffield Tony":3vo7otpo said:
Not all TVs are smart TVs. Not all smart TVs run Android, some of the cheaper ones use their manufacturer's proprietary OS, which may limit what apps are available. We replaced out Sony non-smart TV with a smart TV to be free of Firesticks and other clutter hanging out the back. The new Sony is good, but does occasionally have a funny turn requiring a power cycle to restore sanity. But doesn't most modern tech.

Agreed!

My girl bought a new tv last that was apparently "Smart" but it's awful, can't get All4 or the other main catchup services on it.

If your kids want to watch last night's episode of "First Dates" etc you'll appreciate that smart feature. :wink:

Of course if you are unable to watch "First Dates" it may well be a smart TV....

Noel":2qxmcgh1 said:
You do realise Chris what you should've done is not post here and go and buy the TV your kids decide on?
Decisions, decisions... : )

Yep, more info that my very un-tech brain can cope with! :) Really helpful replies all - and definitely glad I asked.

Til this morning I'd only vaguely heard of 4K tvs. I've done a bit of reading and reckon if I don't get one of these, it'll be no time before I'm hearing how we need to upgrade (a term I keep trying to ignore, but won't go away). And at the price of the LG, it looks good. Currys have the LG 43UK6470PLC 43" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV, which differs from the one at John Lewis by a couple of numbers and a letter, but should give us some idea of how the LG 43UK6400PLF LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV at JL looks? And John Lewis comes with 5 years guarantee (they're good at guarantees there, aren't they?).

Thanks everyone, a real help.

Noel":1xx9x4a8 said:
Of course if you are unable to watch "First Dates" it may well be a smart TV....
Haha.. very good.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

as the owner of a silver philips TV I must respond in the most forthright terms about the suggestion that 'silver tvs are so 90s' and that 'Neither (philips nor blaupunkt) are great TV brands'

what an utter outrage <splutters into keyboard>!

As it happens Philips are one of the few manufactures to take sound quality seriously on modern low profile tvs (working with Bowers and Wilkins), they use the legendary pixel perfect engine and have a proper smart tv implementation based on android. Also once you have used Ambilight it is impossible to go back.

Sadly Chris this only applies to the mid to top end models so unless you change your budget you will have to get a Samsung w. soundbar like everyone else!

Back