which nail-gun?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ateallthepies":1twm454k said:
I have the little 6 litre compressor with the roll cage and the 30 metre reel hose and this powers a 23 gauge headless pinner, 18 gauge brad and 16 gauge second fix gun.

. I also have a stapler and have just bought a framing nailer so will see how that performs shortly and see how my little compressor handles it?

Steve.

i have the same setup as you but with a makita compressor,
let me know how the framing gun goes as id love to add one to my "collection :D , i assumed 6l would not be powerfull enough to fire 2+ nails with out cycling

Judging by my other guns consumptions I reckon that I will get around 5 shots before the compressor motor kicks in with the framer.

Definitely not good for the all day fixer who needs to bang in 30 plus nails a minute but for my needs should be just about OK.

Will report back and let you know.

Steve.

I went for the cheaper option mentioned on the last page, the Tacwise job for about £40, I wish I hadn't now. It's very easy to mark whatever surface you're nailing into, and the power cord is very short so an extension has to be used, not very ergonomic either. It does the job, but it's not very ood IMHO.

When I upgrade I'm going to get the Axminster ones: 18g Nailer and the Headless Pinner, but I am wondering about compressors, I want one that's not going to be mega noisy, but can handle fairly constant use. I'll probably just get one of the Axy ones. But the Bostitch 'Silent' compressors seem pretty cool (not tried matching the tools I want to the compressor yet though.) But they are far too expensive.

I'm gonna get something to inflate my tyres and a blow-off nozzle for getting dust out of nooks n crannies etc. They seem pretty useful.

_Dan :)

You can always knock up a sound proofed box to house the compressor.

You do need a bit of air flow of course but this can dampen the sound to not annoying levels.

My compressor can be used indoors as it is not that loud but it can startle a person on start-up.

I try to have it outside where possible and use the long hose but am forever reminding people to not tread on the hose!

As for matching the compressor to the tools, all the bradders and staplers will work with any compressor to their full ability. Not sure yet on the coil and framing nailers.

My 6 litre compressor allows me to use all the tools I have as fast as I need without problems.

Spraying and stuff like air sanders are a different matter and need large reservoirs and powerful motors.

Steve.

chippy1970":3m98o37s said:
Mike-W":3m98o37s said:
I don’t own a nail gun- its one of those tools I have never felt the need for.
Anyway I have to replace our back fence put up 15 years ago (cheep panels from Buy & Queue), I’m planning to make up 10 Close Boarded panels insitu and hope never to replace it again. Is there anyone with experience of the Axminster AW50N mentioned several times on this forum? Are the 18g T nails the gun will fire suitable for fixing featherboards to the frame? The fence supplier mentioned galvanized nails, I see Screwfix sell them, I guess 18g brads are universal amongst nail guns?

Best wishes

Mike

I personally wouldn't use 18 gauge for that job they are too skinny 16 would be better like the Paslodes and Dewalts fire but they dont have t heads. My T nailer (ace&k) fires 15's

Thanks Chippy1970

As I don't want to be spending much more than 50 notes on an air nailer at the mo, I suppose I could either double up on the fixings in each featherboard with 18 gauge nails or get my trusty claw hammer out and knock in about a thousand nails!

Thanks all for the info

Mike

speed":4t8nwu2n said:
i have the same setup as you but with a makita compressor,
let me know how the framing gun goes as id love to add one to my "collection :D , i assumed 6l would not be powerfull enough to fire 2+ nails with out cycling

Hi speed,

My F33 PTSM framer turned up but I have no nails to test yet as they are order only at screwfix and they had none in today nor any other shop in my area!

Will report back when I have some.

Also looking at the specifications of the gun, it seems with the 6 litre compressor that I will get about 25 shots a minute at most.

Hope to have some nails by next week.

Steve.

Well I got some 75mm ring shanks today and can report at 8 BAR the compressor gives 3 shots before cycling. This is more than enough pressure to drive the nails I had.

So I reduced the air to 6 BAR and get 5 shots before cycling.

This nailer can go as low as 4.8 BAR but I didn't try the 75mm nails that low as at the time I didn't know how low I could go.

So it seems that roughly every BAR of pressure from 8 down gives 1extra shot.

So my 6 litre compressor is fine so long as I don't want to fire a nail a second, and if so will have to get a larger tank version.

HTH,

Steve.

thanks for the reply steve

hmmm 5 shots then recycle i supose its ok for the odd studwork, im just a little concerned about the noise now, i bet i could cut the next stud in the same time it takes to cycle so in effect it will be on almost constant... im not sure i will have any happy customers, its about 98db

Back