which nail-gun?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm looking to invest in a nail-gun sometime soon...

I have used a DeWalt DC628KB, which doesn't use gas so is very simple & easy to use and is good to be used as a finishing nailer.

But @ £350 notes with batteries, charger etc. seems a bit expensive. But now that I've looked all nail-guns seem to be @ about this price range. I know that Paslode are deemed to be the "Daddies", but the DeWalt is so user friendly I can't ignore it.

Oh yeah, I'll only be using this in the workshop and not on-site. So I don't necessarily need it to be cordless, but it's obviously an advantage.

Any reviews/recommendations would be gladly received, thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Cheers_Dan :)

if thats the type of nailer you want then buy the dewalt, no gas and little maintainance, i have the paslode and think its great but have also used the dewalt and in the long run the savings on use ( pins are cheaper because you don't need the gas and no cleaning kits, or O rings etc) make it a far better option,
some of the others will be able to advise you on air guns but i have no experience of them
hope this helps
Mark

goldeneyedmonkey":iksyz71m said:
Hello all, I'm looking to invest in a nail-gun sometime soon...

I have used a DeWalt DC628KB, which doesn't use gas so is very simple & easy to use and is good to be used as a finishing nailer.

But @ £350 notes with batteries, charger etc. seems a bit expensive. But now that I've looked all nail-guns seem to be @ about this price range. I know that Paslode are deemed to be the "Daddies", but the DeWalt is so user friendly I can't ignore it.

Oh yeah, I'll only be using this in the workshop and not on-site. So I don't necessarily need it to be cordless, but it's obviously an advantage.

Any reviews/recommendations would be gladly received, thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Cheers_Dan :)

Hi Dan

I've had my Paslode 350 for about 4 years and although not used constantly, it's paid for itself several times over.

It's a first fix gun but I have used a 250 which is just as good.

very reliable but you do need to take the time to keep it clean and serviced (about 30 mins after prolonged use).

Just put up my own extension roof without help and couldn't have done it alone without the Paslode.

Nails are expensive but many of the generic nails and gas are now just as reliable at half the cost.

Hope that helps

Bob

Hi Dan
I had a problem a few weeks ago Getting hold of separate gas canisters for my paslode 350. I had more than enough nails but I was down to my last gas canister, I`ve been able to get packs of two in the past from my local Paslode supplier or the local tool shop but neither could help me. The bloke at the tool shop said he had been unable to get any for at least 6 weeks. I don't know if this is a sign of things to come,(gas only supplied with nails.) but if your only going to use the gun in the shop then an air fed system could offer you greater flexibility.

Dex

Get the Dewalt we have 2 of them that we went over to from Paslodes and they are much better either that or get a compressor and nailguns.

We still use the Paslode first fix guns but the 2nd fix Paslodes are so un-reliable (even with regular servicing) where as the Dewalt ones have never let us down and they are much cheaper to run as theres no gas to buy.

ive had the dewalt for 3/4 years and never let me down.

if its just for workshop use id get air compressor, then you can run a 16g 18g and a headless pinner + others

the you could prob buy everything for the smae price as the dewalt. the 16ga nails axminster sell for there gun is approx half the price of dewalt nails

Axminster Headless Pinner
Axminster AT3020 Heavy Duty Air Nailer
Axminster AW50N Air Nailer
Axminster AWC25HP Compressor - 240V

=£345 and 23p

Buy the Dewalt, they are far more reliable than a pas(2nd fix). I have had both and wouldn't buy the pas again. Except the 1st fix which is much better.

I also have the De Walt and can't fault it. I should add that it is no good for first fix though as the nails are only 16g. I have a large framing nailer and compressor for this sort of work. I also have a small brad nailer for use in the shop which is much lighter than the De Walt. HTH. :wink:

thanks for all the info... two things:

1. what's the g indicate? i.e. 16g & 18g?

2. would a compressor be noisy? because I only have a small workshop and it can get very noisy with just the dust extractor and an orbital on!

p.s it will mostly be used for putting carcasses together while the pva goes off, because I'm gonna have to spend a fortune on clamps the way it's going at the moment!

:)

g would be gauge (american wire gauge). The higher the gague the thinner the nail.

It sounds more like you want a nailer / stapler rather than a full on nail gun. I bought a Tacwise 191EL Pro 35mm Nailer/Stapler from Screwfix a couple of weeks ago for over boarding some floors. Fantastic piece of kit. Will fire a 25mm staple into an oak beam no problem (probably wouldn't manage 35mm into oak though which is the biggest staple it takes).

it's a no brainer.
for a workshop compressor and nail guns. Bombproof. You can also buy a small portable unit to use on site with the nail guns at a later date.

For multi area site work either the dewalt or paslode. Paslode is great but too fiddly with servicing for me.

goldeneyedmonkey":2kgbp4nk said:
Wobblycogs: that's exactly what I'm looking for, nice one! :)

Combo staple and pin guns are fine but do leave a wide mark as the firing pin is wider to suit staples.
I'd just get seperate pin and staple guns off ebay.

Dewalt and paslode pin guns are really 2nd fix joinery guns, as others have said the dewalt is the business and way better than the paslode.

goldeneyedmonkey":2n0q4pju said:
thanks for all the info... two things:
2. would a compressor be noisy? because I only have a small workshop and it can get very noisy with just the dust extractor and an orbital on!
:)

Most compressors are a bit noisy, but worth it I wouldn't be without mine I use an 18g Bostich, 15g T nailer, 2 types of stapler a riveter and a framing nailer even a small touch up spray gun all from a small Bostich compressor...

I have got a silent compressor that I use for airbrushing but although the pressures there it would take to long to fill so wouldn't keep up with tools they use the same type of pump used on fridges.

Glad I could help. As matty said the gun can leave a mark when using brads because the driver has to be wide enough to sink a staple but I've found that unless I'm pushing hard on the back of the tool and nailing into soft material it's not a problem (the harder you push the deeper the fixing is sunk into the work piece). For the price it's a fantastic tool and I can't imagine how I got by without one now I've used it for everything from jig making to tacking up dust sheets and even wire mesh for plastering.

I would definitely go down the compressed air route. A small compressor can be picked up for £50 or so - mine cost £27.50 in B&Q's sale last year! This can be easily taken on site as well as being used in the workshop.

As for guns, ideally you need three.

The most useful is an 18g brad nailer which will take up to 2" brads.

tylertool_2107_661635057.gif

This will handle most jobs - just choose the appropriate length brads for the job in hand.

For framing you need something with a little more guts. A 16g gun which will take up to 2.5" nails.

tylertool_2107_661601870.gif

Finally, for very fine work, a headless pinner is the thing. The pins are are almost invisible - great for attaching mouldings etc.

tylertool_2107_661587569.gif

My tools are all Porter Cable as those pictured above. Axminster do own-brand versions at less than half the price however, and from what I've seen they are excellent.

Cheers
Brad

I don’t own a nail gun- its one of those tools I have never felt the need for.
Anyway I have to replace our back fence put up 15 years ago (cheep panels from Buy & Queue), I’m planning to make up 10 Close Boarded panels insitu and hope never to replace it again. Is there anyone with experience of the Axminster AW50N mentioned several times on this forum? Are the 18g T nails the gun will fire suitable for fixing featherboards to the frame? The fence supplier mentioned galvanized nails, I see Screwfix sell them, I guess 18g brads are universal amongst nail guns?

Best wishes

Mike

Mike-W":22hz7lgy said:
I don’t own a nail gun- its one of those tools I have never felt the need for.
Anyway I have to replace our back fence put up 15 years ago (cheep panels from Buy & Queue), I’m planning to make up 10 Close Boarded panels insitu and hope never to replace it again. Is there anyone with experience of the Axminster AW50N mentioned several times on this forum? Are the 18g T nails the gun will fire suitable for fixing featherboards to the frame? The fence supplier mentioned galvanized nails, I see Screwfix sell them, I guess 18g brads are universal amongst nail guns?

Best wishes

Mike

I personally wouldn't use 18 gauge for that job they are too skinny 16 would be better like the Paslodes and Dewalts fire but they dont have t heads. My T nailer (ace&k) fires 15's

I have the 16 gauge Paslode as I do a bit of second fix like skirtings and architraves. It was fine for the task but noisy and would make other people jump!

The trouble with the gas nailers is the gas which seems to go 'off'? As I am not using it regularly I can find the gun starts to play up and I find putting in a fresh canister solves the miss-fires. I too have lots of brads with no gas.

I will probably sell the passy as I now use all Bostitch air tools and compressor.

I have the little 6 litre compressor with the roll cage and the 30 metre reel hose and this powers a 23 gauge headless pinner, 18 gauge brad and 16 gauge second fix gun.

Also I use a lot the concrete nailer for skirtings and coving and it is brilliant for this. I also have a stapler and have just bought a framing nailer so will see how that performs shortly and see how my little compressor handles it?

All my Bostitch stuff has worked flawlessly and most of it was bought on ebay and quite cheap. It has saved me loads of time.

Another good thing with air is I use a blow gun to dust off stuff and have tyre gauge fitting that has pumped up my tyres whenever needed!

Steve.

Back