• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Which motor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone advise me please re which motor is best to convert a 3 phase pilar drill to single phase?
I got a beautiful Progress floor standing drill but it's no use to me as its 3 phase.

Regards

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much Power you need for your drilling requirements it is possible to run your 3PH motor on single phase using a Run Rated capacitor to generate a simulated third phase.

Is your motor a dual voltage version that can be wired for 400/240 volt (Star/Delta) operation.

If so in Delta form:-
C = 70 x kW (formula for 230 50Hz 3-phase motors to run on a 230V 50Hz single phase supply)
For example a 0.37kW motor would require a 25µF cap.

Often enough power for hobby use.
Could get you up and working whilst you sort out phase convertor or new motor.

topchippytom

Established Member
Reaction score
Arnold9801":20k4jd19 said:
Could anyone advise me please re which motor is best to convert a 3 phase pilar drill to single phase?
I got a beautiful Progress floor standing drill but it's no use to me as its 3 phase.

Regards
I have a 3 phase converter in my workshop no longer required as i updated to a 15 HP one due to bigger machines,It is a clark 5.5 HP and will run your drill quite easily

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
If the motor can be or is 220 delta you can use a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) to convert 220V single phase to 220V three phase for about a hundred pounds or so. Bonus is having the variable speed for drilling.

Pete

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm away from my workshop at the moment, so that's all I can say is that it's a "Hoover" make 3 phase motor.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoover industrial motors are very common on old stuff. Get a saved search on ebay and you'll get hold of a 240v one within a couple of weeks. The mechanical switches in old drills are very easy to wire for single phase as well. If you can't find a hoover motor the main things you are looking for are the motor power, shaft size (it will be imperial) and foot mounting hole pattern. You'll have to trawl through a lot of tat but you'll find one quite easily I'd have thought.

topchippytom

Established Member
Reaction score
Seems a lot of hassle,I am a big believer that 3 phase was built for a reason (industrial) I changed all my kit from 240 v to 440 v 3 phase and the difference in the machines in just unreal ,Had an old wadkin planer 240 and would really struggle on big timber where the 3 phase one never even drops in speed when running 300mm wide boards through. Just my own opinion