Which Mortiser...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
SDA

All three models are the same except the Perform has got a diffrent nvr switch

Couldn`t see price for Nu Tool but the Ferm does come with a Three year warranty

Both Ferm and Nu tool claim that the max chisel size is 3/4 while Perform is 1/2 like to see the 3/4 on hardwood

My vote would be for the Perform as it had a good write up on one of the wood rags

James,

Adam and Tom have the Perform mortiser and I've used it once before.

If your thinking that the Perform will be like Norm's mortiser then maybe you should look for one in a slightly higher price range. Don't get me wrong the Perform can cut accurate mortises but only in its own pace, you have to take slow small plunges.

James

Unless you plan on doing a lot of cuts, why not look into an attachment for your DP? I think you are know who "Dano" is. He makes mission style furniture for a living with out a dedicated mortise machine. You'll save money that you can drop into a real good set of chisels.

I have this one and works OK (Basically the same as the ones you mentioned but a bit sturdier and a mre powerful motor).

One thing though the hold down is useless, I replaced the shaft with a threaded bar and luckily found a round disc that I drilled and tapped, plus filed the edge to give it grips. This then holds the hold down in place rather than the hand turned grub screw affair. The nice thing about this one is also you can buy an extender to increase the throat depth.

I would recommend sharppening/honing the bits though, even make the exit holes smooth sided as that greatly improves their ability to allow the chips to exit, a slight burr will easilly allow clogging, and the drill can jam - then heat and maybe a fire and a sick motor eventually!

Hope this helps

Andy

Back