Which moisture meter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi All

Having read the forum entries and now being a bit more familiar :? with problems concerning wood storage, I've now purchased a hygrometer (well three actually :D )

To go with these I want to spend around £50 to £100 on a moisture meter, I need help with choosing a make and model. Any recommendations out there?

Newbie_Neil":20pw0coa said:
Hi rookie

The Veritas is the one recommended to me by quite a number of people. I have just placed my order for it and it's within your budget.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=N9901

Cheers
Neil

Well I have just bought one of these, glad other people are recommending it :lol:
I have only had it a week, so far I have tested lots of the timber in the work shop, pleasantly surprised. The Iroko that I am working shows 9% 8)
I even tested the wood burner pile :oops: :roll: ranged from 12% (workshop scrap) to 25% (log from next doors garden). :shock:
I hope to use it at a timber yard later in the week I post how I get on :D

:shock: Amazing - first time I've heard of somebody testing the log pile for MC. :shock:

Interesting, though, that the workshop scrap remained at just 12% even when mixed with wet logs. Is there some useful info. here?

Trev.

trevtheturner":wt0dhzaw said:
:shock: Amazing - first time I've heard of somebody testing the log pile for MC. :shock:

Interesting, though, that the workshop scrap remained at just 12% even when mixed with wet logs. Is there some useful info. here?

Trev.

Well it was a new toy :oops: and I wanted to something that measured as wet :roll:
I better explain that its not really a log pile, I have a set of rough shelves to store the wood burner supplies on, the 'wet' stuff lays on the floor while the dryer bits sit on the shelves above :shock: I know I should get out more :lol:

Hi all

My moisture meter arrived today and I have been busily testing everything I can. I was pleasantly surprised by the low MC.

It is sold as a Veritas but there is nowhere on the product that says Veritas. I looked on the Axminster web site to see whether they had sent me the wrong item, but it looks exactly the same as the web site.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil in a senior moment":1ouj648b said:
Hi all

My moisture meter arrived today and I have been busily testing everything I can. I was pleasantly surprised by the low MC.

It is sold as a Veritas but there is nowhere on the product that says Veritas. I looked on the Axminster web site to see whether they had sent me the wrong item, but it looks exactly the same as the web site.

Cheers
Neil
So do you have a wood burner pile to test? :oops: :wink: Sounds as though you found the same as me when testing :D
I have just been and got my meter from the workshop, your more observant than me, I had not spotted that the unit is not made by Veritas :shock:
Mine came from Highland Hardware, they do not say Veritas, but the BriMarc site lists it in the Veritas section. :roll:

It's not manufactured by Veritas but the good news is that it is manufactured in Canada and comes with a 3 year warranty in the US / Canada. Axminsters 2 year warranty obviously takes into account the long journey across the Atlantic....

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel

Noely":1b3aw8gh said:
Manufactured in Canada and comes with a 3 year warranty in the US / Canada. Axminsters 2 year warranty obviously takes into account the long journey across the Atlantic....

Yes, I spotted that as well. If they'd used the normal exchange rate it would have been 1.5 years. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Back