Which mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all I just wanted to do an update on my mitre saw, I went for the Dewalt, got it home although it fitted on my bench it stuck out to much, I should have gone with my first choice but I do like Dewalt, but with my lack of space in the workshop it was just no good. I took it back the next day and exchanged it for the bosch, it fitted like a glove and I'm over the moon with it. I'm in the process of making a zero clearance fence and blade insert. Thanks for all the help previously all I need now is for advice on a new blade mainly for cutting mitres on hardwoods for keepsake/memory boxes and the like. Any help on this would be appreciated. I also ditched the laser didn't like it and put on the led light that westy619 does 100% better in my view.

Paul

View attachment 144961
View attachment 144959
Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a mitre saw and would like to know the model number of the Bosch unit you brought?
Thanks

Darren thats really kind of you to offer to try the saw but I'm in East London to far to go i'm affraid. I'm going to Axminster tools next Thursday (Sittingbourne) to choose between the 2, unfortunately they wont let me test them but it looks like I'll go for the Bosch if its that accurate, and to go up against the wall as I don't have the space, I have a digital angle box and I think now it will be a no brainer as the Dewalt is 41" from front to back. Thanks again for the offer and advise its really very much appreciated.

Paul
You ever go to Toucan tools or ITS.

Hello
I must apologise to roadrunner45, Homeless squirrel and James555 for not replying due to illness and thanks to Noel for doing the reply.

In answer to Homeless squirrel I have been to Tucan Tools some years ago and have also bought quite a bit from ITS, in fact it was ITS where I bought my first mitre saw but don't use them much now.

James555 the Bosch as a really nice saw and I'm well pleased with it, heavy yes very I'm 73 and not big but I can move it when I need to if only from one bench to another. What I do need to do is adjust a couple things to get it bang on.

Regards

I didn't like it so I fitted an led light, in fairness I didn't give the laser a chance as I'd set my mind on the Dewalt led system I should really have at least tried the lazer but can always go back to it if I wanted.

Paul

I didn't like it so I fitted an led light, in fairness I didn't give the laser a chance as I'd set my mind on the Dewalt led system I should really have at least tried the lazer but can always go back to it if I wanted.

Paul
What did you use for your LED setup? I have the Festool KS120, and absolutely hate the LASER system. The LED shadowline on the DeWalt DSW780, which I had before the KS120, was wonderful and is a feature of the DWS780 I miss.

What is the obvious difference to the user, from the info I gather the laser shows two lines and the shadow line is just that, the line cast by the shadow of the blade.

What did you use for your LED setup? I have the Festool KS120, and absolutely hate the LASER system. The LED shadowline on the DeWalt DSW780, which I had before the KS120, was wonderful and is a feature of the DWS780 I miss.
Hi I too have carried out a LED shadow light conversion on my Bosch and It really improved the cut accuracy and also means no adjustment when changing a blade if one has had the kerf reduced
Adjusting the twin lasers used to drive me insane the shadow line covers the full blade kerf you just decide which side is the waste side.
Mine took about 20mins to fit with the aid of a hot glue gun to mount the light the switch and the cables.
I removed the flexible metal neck as it wasn't needed which left the cables

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X11FPZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
looks to be out of stock at present but hopefully will give you an idea

What is the obvious difference to the user, from the info I gather the laser shows two lines and the shadow line is just that, the line cast by the shadow of the blade.
The shadow line is created by a high intensity light near the top of the blade inside the housing. The light casts a shadow of both sides of the blade onto the piece being cut, and there is no doubt where the kerf will be. There is no need for adjustment, just proper placement of the light source.

The LASER-equipped saws have one or two beams that indicate where the edge of the blade might be, depending on the accuracy of the LASER mount. Unfortunately, the LASER has a width, with a fuzzy boundary, so it can be interesting to determine where the edge of the blade will meet the wood.

The KS120 has two LASER beams that are supposed to bracket the outer edges of the saw teeth. The alignment of the beams are set at the factory, but can be adjusted if needed by the user. My saw needed adjustment.

Here is a photo of the KS120 showing the LASER using a sheet of white paper as a reference. The beams are visible in the shop light.

KS120-LASER-1a.jpg

Here is the view with the shop lights off (not how I normally use the saw) to enhance the beam visibility.

KS120-LASER-1b.jpg

As the handle is pulled down, a lens in the housing extends the beams.

KS120-LASER-2a.jpg

Again, with the lights off.

KS120-LASER-2b.jpg

Having used the DeWalt with the shadow line, the LASER is disappointing.

I got mine from a member on this forum westy619 he has an ebay site and has made it from the bosch laser so fits like for like easy to fit
no wires to hide or tape up I think if you search mitre saw shadow light on ebay it comes up.
Paul

What is annoying to me is Festool makes a shadow line attachment for the KS60, but nothing for the KS120.

Back