Which mitre saw to buy ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've seen the write up for the CCMS10 Perform 10" Mitre Saw
but the defective dust extractor and noise of operation put me off
what otherwise sounds a good choice foe a beginer. I'm
working in my spare room (!) due to lack of space at the
moment and noise/dust is not making me popular !!

Anyone any suggestions on a similar priced saw without the defects ?

Hi TC,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I think you have set an impossible task for you self :shock:

Mitre saws are renowned for throwing the dust around. I have a cheap one from B&Q and the bag collects 10-20% of the dust on a good day.
This seems to almost the same on the more expensive saws. The solution I have seen on the net is a dust hood that mounts behind the saw to catch the dust. I am looking at making a box from old plywood, connecting it to my dust collector and fixing it up behind the saw.

Topcat,

Unfortunately you tend to get what you pay for, but even the higher priced models will still tend to be noisy and will not get all of the dust. I have a Makita, which is superb, but it's still noisy and it doesn't catch all of the dust through the extractor outlet.

Even if you opt for a model with a (quieter) induction motor, the saw will still be noisy (TCT sawblade cutting wood is noisy irrespective of what's driving it).

As Dave suggests, if dust is a real concern your best bet is to build some auxillary dust collection in addition to that provided with the saw.

Cheers,
Martin.

Hi Topcat

Welcome to the forums. :)

Working in the house with a mitre saw, dust, noise and SWMBO/partner/neighbours. A pretty impossible combination as Dave said. :(

I have a Dewalt mitre saw. It's an old model now but good quality with a really good blade. I would say that noise of the machine itself is not too bad but as with any operation where metal meets wood, the volume goes up as you use it and it isn't going to please someone trying to watch TV in the next room.

As for dust I haven't found a way to completely eradicate it with this tool. The mitre saw tends to produce lots of airbourne fine stuff and a certain amount always seems to get away from whatever I use. I am sure that even if you think you are getting it all, you will find a thin layer settling back down again.

I think the best answer to the dust problem with a mitre saw is "as much extraction as possible". Extractor connected to the saw and some kind of free standing dust extraction hood as well.

A tough problem to crack and one that I don't think even investing in a quality machine will completely solve.

Best of luck and if you do crack it, let us know.

Jeff

Dust is a problem with mitre saws,cheap or expensive. I modified mine by removing a baffle plate below the dust bag port, removed the dust bag and plugged in my vac .I also added a piece of plastic to catch and direct sawdust into the dust port. It isn't 100% but I would say it catches MOST of the dust and chips.

Welcome aboard Topcat...

given your specs, my CMS isn't what you're looking for... If I remember right, Electra Beckum make a saw with an indiction motor;quieter than a brush or universal motor until you start cutting..

To date the best dust catcher I've seen was a home built rig, a massive catchers mitt shaped cowling that enclosed the full arc of the saw. Suction was through a pair of 4" hoses attached through the bottom of the rig, with a Y junction connecting them to a single hose to the DC. If I remember rightly, even that wasn't 100% effective...

Tough prob to crack I'm afraid...

Thanks chaps at least I know I've tried !

I think I will go for the test example and as for the dust
and noise, well I figure insisting it isn't so bad is my only option !
I'll just have to get used to being unpopular !

ta

TC...

I've been using mine straight outa the box for a couple of years now.. it's damn loud, scatters mess like a shotgun..

but the mess stays confined to the shop... closin the door behind you helps minimise the racket... and.... noisy though it is, it's never ran continuously for more than a few seconds. If you back the saw as close as you can to a wall, most of the mess should just hit it and fall to the floor where it's easily dealt with...

IMHO, dealing with the noise / mess from either the router or table saw is a tougher nut to crack.

Hello TC,

I agree - they all make a goddam mess unless you connect a vacuum hose. On noise levels they vary hugely. Brush motors are always noisy anyway, but I think the most noise particularly on budget priced saws, comes from reduction gears. The belt driven saws are much, much better in this respect. My old chap bought a Ferm - awfully, horribly noisy like it was ready to shred itself at any moment. Then he got a Fox 12" Sliding saw (exactly same as a Rexon you see in Screwfix) - sooooooo quiet in comparison.

cheers

Ike

Back