Which make of glove to wear in the workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using power tools, gloves are not a good idea for safety reasons.
That really depends on how you are handling the wood, the wood, and tools you are using.

There is a significantly greater chance of skin damage from sharp edges and splinters than any risk from the gloves when using a thicknesser. When using a pillar drill usually gloves are more dangerous than helpful.

Apart from perhaps initial preparation of sawn timber I can’t imagine wearing gloves in the workshop.

I wear a pair of cheap manual handling gloves for handling rough sawn stuff, but otherwise nothing.

Are you wanting gloves for protection or warmth?

What job are you doing? Handling rough timber requires different gloves to using machinery or applying finishes.

As others above, I wear something like below when handling rough timber, but take them off when using any spinning tools.
7B1765D7-EAFA-4F68-9DFA-AE639B334973.jpeg

I am fortunate that the screwfix KF320 gloves fit my hands snugly and I tend to wear them most of the time when working in the shed. Not overly thick and thin enough to do most tasks without the need to take them off.

I'm thinking of buying some tight fitting thin leather gauntlets.
They are for welding I believe?
I have one that I use for stuffing shavings into the stove, pretty comfy and warm.

Might be a bit different what you guys are looking for, but the fit seems better than those rubber coated gloves, and I've tried a few, just for gardening though.

I don't know how the fingertips would hold up to chiseling or rough handling in the long term, and I'd say they will be pricey.
Keen to see if they are any other alternatives for protecting fingertips from abrasion as this is a growing concern for myself.

Thanks
Tom

Gloves depend on purpose. I use gloves Screwfix Activ Grip for handling rough materials, and thin nitrile gloves when using paint and finishing products. Rough handling gloves don’t just protect my hands from splinters. They also help me grip without having to squeeze too hard.

The only times I use gloves with machine tools are when turning, and then on my left hand only which receives the stream of particles from the gouge. Nitrile when turning wet yew, because the sap is toxic, and the Screwfix glove when sharp chips fly.

I was looking around for the same gloves online which I was talking about, and found out they are specific gloves for tig welding, made from nappa, and can be bought for 5 to 10 quid :)
I realise many folk want gloves for handling timber primarily, but maybe others may have want for something different.
I suggest that you try some on and see the fit, as they have a rather fitted feel to them.

Tom

Standard “builders” gloves at just under a quid a pop online for rough timber. Otherwise no gloves

Standard “builders” gloves at just under a quid a pop online for rough timber. Otherwise no gloves
[/QUO
Yes I make you about right Oddbod. Heavy gloves for abrasive building materials & the like, nitrile gloves for very hazardous liquids otherwise leave them in the drawer. Definitely a no no when using a bench grinder or any machine that could grab the glove finger between the wheel and rest as it'll take your finger with it!

The is evidence that so called anti vibration gloves actually make things worse. ....... Because you tend to grip more tightly.

Well I don't know wear that evidence comes from but in my case the gloves help. If I use my Dynabrade random orbit sander, gas powered string trimmer or chainsaw or any other tools that vibrate without the gloves my hands are tingling so bad in 5 minutes I have to quit. Do the same with the Air Glove on and the onset of the tingling doesn't begin for at least half an hour or more. I don't have to grip any harder than with any other glove on or bare handed. You can believe what ever you want and do whatever you like but I am convinced that if these gloves were available when I was young I wouldn't have the problems with vibration and cold that I do now.

Pete

Fair enough, I was just stating the professional opinion current in the U.K.

One further suggestion (from a chartered safety practitioner) , if you are getting tingling after 30 minutes, you ought to pay attention to what your body is telling you. Stop before you get any effect. Because it will only get worse.
to the extent that touching anything will be very painful.

Back