Which lube?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspsteve

Established Member
Reaction score
What do guys recommend to lube my Record 52 1/2 vice thred and the threads on my kity 1619 table saw blade adjusting threads?

Thanks in advance

Steve

I clean off the threads with a toothbrush, a very light spray with penetrating oil, then wipe off again. Works for me but I'm not a pro user.

Whenever the place you're going to grease is accessible by wood shavings, I personally use that ptfe "dry" spray. If you use anything that remains "wet" like grease, the shavings just cling to it and gum up the works over time. I also use that stuff on my plane and thickness beds.

Random Orbital Bob":t5drv6v0 said:
Whenever the place you're going to grease is accessible by wood shavings, I personally use that ptfe "dry" spray. If you use anything that remains "wet" like grease, the shavings just cling to it and gum up the works over time. I also use that stuff on my plane and thickness beds.

I would agree with you,I was taught that too, but some time ago, I loaned my scheppach 260 to the only man I could trust with it.
when i went to collect it, I was horrified, as he said that he had oiled the 4 bed post threads with 3 in 1.
Long story short, never had any troubles and it really is easier winding up the bed!
NOT RECOMMENDED! but i would oil mine now. Regards Rodders

I use the same stuff I use on my bike, it' drys so that you don''t get mud and dust clinging to the chain and turning into grinding paste.
GT85 it called, not sure it there's anything in it that you would not want to get on your wood.

Well my record 52 1/2 has been used from new for about 10yrs or more and not once have i lubed the screws up and never had any problems yet.

Boeshield T9....

I've tried the dry PTFE's and all the other usual suspects of paste and wax, etc and Boeshield is (IMO) an improvement.

Have a look at Toolstation and search 'Lubricants' they have a good selection, PTFE, White grease, Chain spray, Protection wax etc etc etc. no doubt other places do this kind of stuff but Toolstation have free postage.

Andy

I have always tried to keep threads and roller tracks clean and "dry" and free from grease. A good and frequent blow out by a compressor usually eases things. You could try rubbing on candle or beeswax.

Back