Which Low angle block

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr

Established Member
Reaction score
If, just if, (looks over shoulder - safe to proceed) I found myself in a place where I could buy a low angle adjustable mouth block plane which would it be? The Veritas or the Lie Nielson? The Veritas is easier on the wallet the LN is easier on the eye - is that all there is to it ? Surely not.

I didn't weigh in on the previous thread. I have the LV LA block plane and the LN 60-1/2R rabbet/rebate block plane. I find the LN fits better in my hands because it is smaller and I have small hands to begin with. Quality wise you cannot go wrong with either one. My suggestion would be to try and get your hands on both if you can and see which one feels better to you. If you can't get to see them in person before you order, I would base a decision on your hand size, larger hands = Lee Valley, smaller hand = LN. By the way, I put the optional knobs on my LV LA block plane and ground the blade at a higher angle. Now I have a nice small size smoother :)

Wendell

Thanks both, I had actually wondered about the hands thing Wendell, small hands here as well and I had gathered that the LV was a bit larger from Alfs review. I think Ill try and find somewhere that has both to have a look at. Praps the GWW day at Yandles next weekend.

Hi Mr,

Like you, my hands are small as well. I have both and there's a definite difference in the feel. The LV is wider and has a larger lever cap, which makes it feel even bigger than what it is. Comfortable in certain respects.

At about 1/4" wider it is very noticeable. But I'm not sure it is just a larger/smaller hand thing.

In the other thread several (myself too) also mention the LN bronze 102. Even smaller. For the Lee Valley version they call it their Apron Plane. Either of these smaller yet block planes are really versatile and down right handy to have.

As long as you'll be able to play around with each before buying, and depending on the work you do and how you envision using the block plane, the other thread also mentioned the LN Rabbet Block Plane. If you don't already have a good shoulder plane and you build using mortise and tenons, gives this a thought, too.

Mike

Oh dear I can see the shopping list growing. Im hoping to have a look at each but theres nowhere round these parts where I might be able to do that, Yandles I think is probably closest or praps Axminster if they have both in from memory I dont think they had the Veritas. Ive considered the apron and 102 as well and also have looked at various shoulder planes (the only planes I have currently are a new Stanley 4.5 and an old inherited Record 4.5 which needs a lot of love to get it in working order). But I came back to the 2 low angled models as being more useful as all round tools and saw that they might have uses with some upcoming projects which would use smallish M& Ts and which would also require chamfers and bevel edges (underside of a nightstand top for example). The lack of a planer thicknesser and the frightening prices of PAR means I may end up with a no 5 and / or a no 7 as well though those I suspect will have to be boot fair finds rather than LN (or any other top of the range brand) if thats still possible. This is in danger of turning into a what to buy first type post so Ill end by saying that I imagined the low angled blocks to be most useful for the largest range of applications immediately. Thanks again for your input.

Mike

Latest posts

Back