Which L-N Plane?????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

(Sorry if this has been asked before :roll:)

If you could only buy one (L-N) bench plane which one would it be???

No 1,2,3,4,4.5,5

or low angle no4 or no5.

From my very little experience with hand planes i would probably choose the No5, because it is more versatile IMHO.

Haven't had any experience with low angle planes so can't comment.

Regards

Michel

Michel

#5 (never tried 5 1/2). I bought the 4.5 and don't use it anywhere near as much as much as my Clifton #5

LA 5, (or Veritas LA 5 1/2). If you can only get one plane this has to be it - with another blade there is nothing you can't do with it. I use mine for rough work, for smoothing (machined wood), and on a shooting board.
The disadvantages are comparable with a multifunction machine: changeover time between operations :(.
Cheers
Gidon

I've just got the LV low angle jack and it seems to work well in end grain and as a smoother (it may get even better when I tune the blade). Nice piece of kit as well - it just oozes quality.

Thank you for the replies: -

Can you tell me what the difference is between the L-N and Veritas planes if any.

Regards

Michel

Hello Gidon,

whoops :lol:

Yes the Jacks in particular

Regards

Michel

Michel":xi3qh4gg said:
Thank you for the replies: -

Can you tell me what the difference is between the L-N and Veritas planes if any.

Regards

Michel

Not much between them really. LN tend to use more expensive materials including lots of bronze. From a performance point of view, you probably couldn't tell the difference but from a quality of manufacturing point of view LN just have it.

Either would be as good as the other in use but I prefer the look of the LN and the extra mile they go when finishing them off - well worth the extra few quid in my opinin

By the way, Clifton planes are made in England (Sheffield) and are every bit as good as both LN and veritas in use. My #5 is a Clifton and I absolutely love it.

Regards

Tony

Who has a clifton, a veritas and a 'few' LNs and couldn't tell you which one cuts best :?

Hi Michel

I've used both and ended up with the LV. LV vs LN (for me):

Really liked the extra weight and size of the LV;
Really liked the lateral adjustment of the LV (with the LN you have almost no leeway with sharpening - exaggerated by the fact that I also managed to get a plane with a mouth ground not square to the base!);
<Very subjective view> Found the LN nicer to look at and more comfortable in normal use - the tote on the LV bites into the tendon between my thumb and index finger;
Found I could get a finer cut with the LN and a more glassy finish - I think this is down to the fact that on the two planes I had, the sole was flatter on the LN. In real life use this hasn't made a lot of difference;
The mouth adjustment stop on the LV is a life saver - especially if you're switching between rough and fine cuts often;
More comfortable using the LV on a shooting board.

Cheers

Gidon

I bought the LV low angle trio - block, smoother and jack plus high angle blades. I can't compare to LN's as I've not laid my hand on one. I have large hands and I find the LV planes very, very comfortable on the shooting board, due to the shape of the cap iron and the machined dimples on the side of the body.

Considering performance v price - LV's are best. LN's are better finished although the LV's are still extremely well made.

Call me sad but I also preferred the LV's having Bubinga handles, as they complement the Adria saws and Ashley Isles chisels (once I've made the "heirloom" tool chest). :oops:.

Ike

Which L-N: Something L-V doesn't make. Failing that I like my #4 1/2 but the #5 1/2 would be more flexible for jointing edges and so forth.

The difference between L-N and L-V: apart from appearance and other subjective considerations, I've come to the conclusion, in use, it can be summed up thusly:

L-Ns and machined and polished everywhere; L-Vs are machined and polished where it matters

If I was getting one good quality plane now, I'd unhesitatingly opt for the L-V #62 1/2 low angle jack and one or two additional blades. It's as close to the perfect user plane as I've come, and I love it to bits. I can't say no affiliation any more I suppose, but it's the honest truth; no commission this way comes. I'm as surprised as anyone just how much I've taken to it. While planing up the ash for my coffee table the other day I was using the L-N #4 1/2, until I took a tea break. I came back and automatically picked up the L-V jack instead and finished the job; never even thought about using the L-N, except I did briefly wonder why it was cluttering up the bench instead of sitting on its shelf...
blush2.gif
So maybe I should be talking up the L-N and we could come to an arrangement...
laugh.gif

Cheers, Alf

Vormulac":u0zaxnco said:
Where does everyone get their L-N or Veritas planes from?

V.

I've bought both direct, and from Axminster.

Adam

If you could only buy one (L-N) bench plane which one would it be???

In the past year, I've bought the L-N #4 1/2, #62 and #7, and put enough mileage on each to say I know them pretty well. I honestly don't know that I could pick one over any other; they're all excellent at what they do, each doing something slightly different than the others. The combination of all 3... is awesome...

The difference between L-N and LV from what I've seen isn't an over-abundance of polish; if that were the case I'd need to wear shades every time I picked up the #7... Based on what I've learned, their primary difference is the workbench height that each is designed to be used on.

L-N's use traditional Bailey pattern handles, their rear totes being best suited to the traditional lower height of a hand tool bench. LV's (according to Rob) have a steeper pitched tote, optimised for use on more modern power tool benches; the logic being the higher the bench, the closer your forearm is to the horizontal, and therefore the steeper pitch tote to optimise comfort and power delivery.
Qualitatively, both are excellent. L-N use a combination of Ductile iron and manganese bronze in most of their planes while LV use ductile iron and high quality plastics. It's stressed that plastics are used where the material doesn't need to be a metal.
Both companies have exemplary quality standards and customer service; 100% customer satisfaction is their minimum acceptable standard.

Both companies use very high grade steel in their blades, differing only where L-N use a cryogenic hardening treatment in addition to tempering.

It's been my experience that LV go that extra yard or two with their care / use instruction sheets, something that other manufacturers could learn from.
Both companies have well deserved excellent international reputations; whichever tool you choose, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back