which joint??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

You have excuse me, but I am able to do questions only :roll: .
I am thinking to achieve some boxes, for my few hand tools like handplane and chisels.
I think to use plywood.
What do you advice about the joint?? Dovetails??
Keep in mind I own hand tools only.

Hi Geppetto

Have you thought about box joints?
One of the excersises the kids in school do around here is hand cut box joints for a small box. They leave all sorts of gaps between the pieces but the joints do finish up very strong.

Dennis

I would also recommend box joints. With a fine-bladed saw and a sharp chisel, you should be able to produce a good strong joint (loads of surfaces for the glue), like this:

wwj18.gif

More on joints here, if interested.

Ray.

I've never really seen much point in doing box joints by hand. I mean, if you're taking all that trouble you might as well do things "properly" and have the brag factor of dovetails mightn't you? Someone want to re-educate me? :?

Cheers, Alf

Argee":3gn3abfv said:
I would also recommend box joints. With a fine-bladed saw and a sharp chisel, you should be able to produce a good strong joint (loads of surfaces for the glue), like this:

wwj18.gif

More on joints here, if interested.

Ray.

Ray, I joined this forum a few days ago and got some great advice so far. I've seen you refer to info on your website a few times in posts... Just wanted to say that your site (along with your advice) is excellent!

Great work :)

Argee":l4pw5hc4 said:
Ray, I joined this forum a few days ago and got some great advice so far. I've seen you refer to info on your website a few times in posts... Just wanted to say that your site (along with your advice) is excellent!

Great work :)

I will second that!........ :wink:

Aragorn":e837xe81 said:
...spikey bits??...
Dozuki??..

Hi All,

Excuse my ignorance :oops: , but : what means the term"spikey" ? I can't translate it in Italian. And.. Dozuki is a saw brand or other??

However, in large sense, I wanted to know if plywood can be worked like natural wood in joints. :roll:

'spikey' was just refering to the picture in Ray's posts. It was sarcasm and not a serious technical comment.

GEPPETTO":ezkracx8 said:
Excuse my ignorance :oops: , but : what means the term"spikey" ?
Pointy, erm, like a hedgehog? Or a porcupine. Or maybe the Alps. :D Something having spikes (spiga I think?)

Dozuki is a saw brand or other??
A Japanese back saw, like this.

However, in large sense, I wanted to know if plywood can be worked like natural wood in joints. :roll:
By and large, yes.

Cheers, Alf

GEPPETTO":3tplova0 said:
Aragorn":3tplova0 said:
...spikey bits??...
Dozuki??..

Hi All,

GEPPETTO I'm afraid you will never be able to use plywood like real wood as the grain structure will be totally different, plywood will only take so much before the grain of the wood will fail, you can use plywood for dovetail joints but the result won't look as pleasing as using real wood!...It depends on the quality of finish that's needed!...

seaco":d0hf463s said:
plywood will only take so much before the grain of the wood will fail
As will "real wood". But whereas if "real wood" fails along the grain that's it, with plywood you've then got the next layer, going the other way, which won't. But no, it won't look as nice (although that's a personal thing), and that very alteration of grain direction makes it a bit of a bind to work with hand tools.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3j0oisg9 said:
I've never really seen much point in doing box joints by hand. I mean, if you're taking all that trouble you might as well do things "properly" and have the brag factor of dovetails mightn't you? Cheers, Alf
Alf,

In the context of this question from Geppetto, given that he wanted a good joint but also that only hand tools were available, it was my feeling that, especially with ply, the chiselling-out of the dovetail joints would be more likely to cause difficulty than "square-shouldered" box joints.

Just my point of view, trying to suggest the best result for Geppetto in the circs.

Regarding the "looks nice" factor, box joints in ply can look quite attactive if they're neatly done, don't you think? :)

Ray.

Ray,
I think you are right - both for Geppetto and the appearance of box-joints in ply. I think dovetails in ply look slightly bizarre.

I was thinking along the lines of a lock rebate... but in the absence of a router table... yupp... gotta agree...

good suggestion Ray....

Pinking Shears!

if you two reprobates dinna start behavin, someone's gonna spank the backs o yer knees... :twisted:

Midnight":15yuwfln said:
I was thinking along the lines of a lock rebate... but in the absence of a router table... yupp... gotta agree...

good suggestion Ray....

Thanks, Midnight, but after all I was agreeing (OK - a bit long-windedly, no change there then!) with the original suggestion made by Jorden :)

Ray.

now you see why I'm paid from the neck down huh....??

sheesh... it's been a looooooooooong day...

nice idea Jordan..!!

purty pic Ray... :p

:wink:

Hi thanks to All,

I will try how Argee say. However I haven't a fine-saw. I will see what I will be able to do.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back