Which Insulation for a new workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, we are getting a pre built 20’x10’ shed in the new year (for my wife’s crafting activities). It’ll have a 75mm deep frame which we want to insulate and board over.
What are the best , and most economical ways , Of doing this?
All suggestions welcomed!
Ps we are in Cornwall so access to some suppliers can be limited.
Many thanks, Mike

rockwool is what I'd go for, it's only a bit more expensive than the kingspan type

Rockwool roll or slabs will be cheapest but the insulation value of PIR (kingspan/celotex) is double for the same thickness. Multifoil is another option to look at. For ease of installation rockwool then multifoil then PIR.

I think a lot depends on the quality of the shed build. Rockwool is prone to retaining damp/mould and makes wonderful nest space for insects and mice. Kingspan/celotex isn't perfect and is fiddly to install neatly, but is a bit more resistant to problems. A good third option is expanded polystyrene boards... cheap and simple, if a bit messy when cutting to size.

I would say cheapest would be Rockwool cavity batts they also over decent fire and noise reduction Kingspan would cost more but give better cold insulation. One option would be to use 75mm batts in the cavity and then line the inside with plasterboard bonded to Kingspan as this will also reduce thermal bridging and keep the damp out. You would need a breather on the outside of the shed to keep the damp out of the structure.
https://insulation4less.co.uk/produ...JZ_37UiQay5u-f2rieSkrZkuPMsByQ0BoCraAQAvD_BwE

Back