Which grits do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking around the shops for some nice sand paper this weekend so wondered what does everyone use? I'm struggling to find any 600 grit rolls? Does 600+ only come in the form or wet and dry sheets?

L2wis":2lcvusus said:
I'm looking around the shops for some nice sand paper this weekend so wondered what does everyone use? I'm struggling to find any 600 grit rolls? Does 600+ only come in the form or wet and dry sheets?

Hi Lewis,

I never go beyond 400 and usually only to 320. I used to go up to 2000 wet and dry but thats only necessary on guitars and violins if you want a mirror finish.

I get my abrasives from Richard Findlay, he is on this forum. Excellent paper.

ditto to richards rhyno abrasives http://www.turnersworkshop.co.uk/woodturnersupplies.html#Abrasive. he sells a mixed pack which contains all you need 80g - 400g (and they last a surprisingly long time, especially if you cut them into little squares :) ) and also a red (600) and a yellow (1000) nyweb sheet,for finer finishing.
also if you get into making pens on your pen mandrel, grab some micro mesh pads. just under a tenner for a set sounds a bit pricey but boy do they work. they have taken the finish on my pens to another level :shock:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/micro-mesh-s ... rod804806/

Lewis,

I use abranet 100, 120, 150, 180, 240, 320, 400 and 600 for hand sanding. For power sanding I use Sorby 120, 180, 240 and 320 pads on a 2" diameter pad. I have some Abralon 1000 but have never used it!!

I sand everything to at least 320; if I want a good gloss finish I usually go to 600.

Mike

Abranet sheets up to 1000 grit from Toolpost.

2" Power sanding discs up to 600 grit from Peter Childs.

Colour Grit up to 400 grit from Phil Irons.

My sanding is like this:

I buy 10 off 2" sanding pads from Craft Supplies, then I get the discount.

I buy all my sanding discs from CSM or Just Abrasives @ 100/packet about £11.50.

When I attempt turning it always goes in this sequence:

Breeze block, House brick, 60, 120, 180, 240, 400.

You might laugh but my last cuts usually tend towards the washboard effect because I shake uncontrollably as I concentrate and the effect is one of undulations, the only way to describe it!

Our good friend Richard Findley has shown me how to do shear scraping but it usually makes things worse, so I use a piece of house brick which is much better! (TIC)

If I am turning any exotic hardwood, very rare but sometimes a customer demands it, then I go from 400 to 800 and sometimes 1200.

If I am fortunate then the piece looks quite good but to disguise any more toolmarks I smother it in paint!

Regards Peter.

Haha thanks for that post peter most informative :) I've just been in the shed with my wilkinsons 100 and 150 grit paper haha. I've made these two little trees, the one with the point i've literally just finished. I used a tea light and olive oil as my finish heh.

The idea is they should be xmas tree decorations. Carl Jacobson from youtube made one in one of his videos.

Attachments

• 13187918554170.jpg
    13187918554170.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 822
L2wis":3q3hfgwj said:
. I've made these two little trees, the one with the point i've literally just finished. I used a tea light and olive oil as my finish heh.

The idea is they should be xmas tree decorations. Carl Jacobson from youtube made one in one of his videos.
Nice little trees and I like the way you've displayed them on top of those sausages to give a sense of scale :wink:

Bit late, but I always use 80, 120, 180, 240, 320, 400.

For acrylic pens I go 240, 400, 800, 1200 and then onto my micro finishing pads up to 12000, wow what a finish, and takes no longer than 5 minutes.

When I use up my remaining stash of 3" pads (standard abrasive 80-400 grit), I'll be ordering some Rhino abrasive from Richard and cutting my own. Any ideas how I could cut 3" disks easily/quickly?

Aled

Aled Dafis":lnocxbbe said:
Any ideas how I could cut 3" disks easily/quickly?

Aled

let me know if you find one!

I use 2" cut from sheet (from Richard!) but just have the odd session cutting them with sissors whilst watching TV. Everytime I think of making up a stamp I conclude it's not going to save me a whole lot of time! I also mark the grit on the back of the disc with a marker - because I always seem to end up with them mixed up (although I am currently working on a poker chip style holder which seems logical)

Jonzjob":1xx8pa4d said:
Easy for the grits Jumps :mrgreen:

The finer grits got smaller bits :evil: :evil:
whilst most are obvious I find that the finer ones can be confused (by me!) - and I would rather not have to sort them out.

Aled Dafis":2a5q5jsm said:
When I use up my remaining stash of 3" pads (standard abrasive 80-400 grit), I'll be ordering some Rhino abrasive from Richard and cutting my own. Any ideas how I could cut 3" disks easily/quickly?

Aled

I just cut mine roughly octagonal with scissors, they work just as well. Another method is to find an old hole saw, grind the teeth off and sharpen the edge so you can use it as a punch to cut out discs.

Latest posts

Back