Which grits do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aled Dafis":18xne8qm said:
When I use up my remaining stash of 3" pads (standard abrasive 80-400 grit), I'll be ordering some Rhino abrasive from Richard and cutting my own. Any ideas how I could cut 3" disks easily/quickly?

Aled

:idea: i havent tried it yet #-o but how about - turn small solid wood block, say 3.5in dia x 2in deep and using appropriate tool cut 3in (D) groove on face to accept old bandsaw blade , glue in place. maybe sharpen (bench grinder) back edge of blade first to make better cutting edge.
to use, place on abrasive sheet and (hammer)

L2wis":1vv6og0q said:
I'm looking around the shops for some nice sand paper this weekend so wondered what does everyone use? I'm struggling to find any 600 grit rolls? Does 600+ only come in the form or wet and dry sheets?

I always have mine with some polk salad :lol: :lol: :lol:

regarding the micomesh pads, are they as re-useable as axminster claim? Do you just rinse them and they're good to go again? I want to get into pen making so it's something I can see myself purchasing in the future providing they are re-usable. I would fancy £8 on pads for every other pen!

L2wis":6p6j0cub said:
regarding the micomesh pads, are they as re-useable as axminster claim? Do you just rinse them and they're good to go again? I want to get into pen making so it's something I can see myself purchasing in the future providing they are re-usable. I would fancy £8 on pads for every other pen!

i was asking myself this question yesterday. i have finished about 10 pens and a couple of other items with my first set and there is still plenty of life left in them, although i am sure they will wear out eventually.
what i did notice was fun-e-turns a shop on fleabay sell the 2x2 pads (9) for a tenner, and 3x4 pads (9) for 15 quid. to my reckoning thats at least twice the amount of pads for a fiver more (once you have introduced mr scissors into the equation :) )
so i think my next MM purchase will be the larger pads.
everyone - please let me know if they are different pads so i know i am not barking up the wrong tree (or just barking :shock: )

see here....http://stores.ebay.co.uk/fun-e-turnz/Ab ... 34.c0.m322

Great idea! by my maths you should get 3 times the surface area? Does sound a better deal if they are as good as the axminster ones.

Nev,

They are the same materials as the smaller ones. That is exactly what I do, buy the larger set and cut them down. The result is slightly smaller than the normal small pads but the cost saving is great. I have tried washing them, be careful as it can cause the backing to collapse it they get soggy. I now use a nylon nail brush and give them a quick scrub, works very well.

For cutting 2" and 3" discs for sanding especially the Rhyno I use a wooden disk turned to the right size with a kob for a handle and the face covered with stick-on heavy duty Velcro hooks. I run round with a scalpel, cuts very clean.

regards,

mikec

l2wis
as an example of what MM does, here's a yew pen from earlier today, as yet unfinished. this was turned with a skew (i'm getting better :) ) then sanded (along the grain while stationary) with just 320 then 600 (ive run out of 400 :( ) then through the micromesh pads. no polish or ca as yet...
yew mmeshed.JPG

not a scratch in sight :D (even with my glasses on :lol: )

Attachments

• yew mmeshed.JPG
    yew mmeshed.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 459
cheers john,
i agree yew is great to turn and a wonderful colour(s), but a bit like gordon , ive got quiet a bit of it, plus most of the other native woods seem a bit bland for pens. I'm still looking for some more interesting local woods.

nev":1kby1kz3 said:
l2wis
as an example of what MM does, here's a yew pen from earlier today, as yet unfinished. this was turned with a skew (i'm getting better :) ) then sanded (along the grain while stationary) with just 320 then 600 (ive run out of 400 :( ) then through the micromesh pads. no polish or ca as yet...

not a scratch in sight :D (even with my glasses on :lol: )

Wow that looks a really nice finish as it is! A finish like that really shows off the wood! Do you add anything after that stage? If so do you have any other pics?

L2wis":1pmk1azm said:
Wow that looks a really nice finish as it is! A finish like that really shows off the wood! Do you add anything after that stage? If so do you have any other pics?

yep, next comes the CA/BLO finish applied a la johns method http://www.woodturned.co.uk/html/blo-ca_finnish.html (lots of good tips n tricks there)
i am still unsure about applying the pen polish (white block) that came with the kit :? it does make the pen 'feel' nice but does take a bit of the shine off. i am currently experimenting with some simoniz liquid car wax (pure carnuba apparently). jury's still out.
i will finish the pen later so will post a pic this evening.

L2wis":ihewjbo2 said:
Brilliant, I'm looking forwards to seeing the finished pictures! I'll research what ca/blo is :)

check johns page above, all you need to know :)
BLO = Boiled Linseed Oil
CA = Cyanoacrylate Adhesive or Super Glue.

todays pen...
fancy slimline pen kit from timberbits in oz (about a quid), local yew tree (free), finished 3 coats ca/blo. (pound shop super glue - 6 for 99p, blo from b&q, from memory about a fiver). so about £1.20 + labour. so for ebayUS about $1500 :mrgreen:

yewpen.JPG

yewpen2.JPG

Attachments

• yewpen.JPG
    yewpen.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 442
  • yewpen2.JPG
    yewpen2.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 442
L2wis":2a04sf6x said:
Lovely pen :) thanks for the info and sharing the finished article pics. Do you really sell them for that much money?
i wish :!: :shock:
nope, never sold one, they all seem to get snaffled up by friends and relatives. i dont think my craftmanship is up to the quality of charging a price worth asking yet (and actually getting more than minimum wage).

Not yet :D

i may be wrong but i think those ones are 'paper sheets' as opposed to the others which are (cushioned) pads, more probably used for vehicle type finishing. i think theyre made by the same people but for a slightly different purpose?
others may know better!

Back