Which grinder & polisher for sharpening and polishing parts.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scubadoo":2jra65wk said:
They're also saying that because i have a wire wheel on my machine I have voided my warranty...
W-what? In what universe is using a wire wheel on a grinder an abuse of the tool?! :roll: They've been a standard option for, I don't know, 70 years or more?

Have to wonder if this is even listed in the warranty document.... What's next, no buffing mops? You must use the standard rests (dreadful though they are)?

I know!! If you look at some of the Axminster Trade ones they also say not suitable for use with a wire wheel. I wonder why?

Anyway, fitted the switch and swapped out the white wheel for a CBN from Toolpost and put a coarse ruby, also from Toolpost, on the left side. The grinder now runs much smoother, no vibrations and the CBN is truly a game changer. Maybe they say no wire wheel because the grinder becomes unbalanced and vibrates like a pipper?

In fairness to Record they replaced the switch quickly. And the advice from Toolpost was excellent. Will defintely use them again.

Wire wheels present a more aggressive drag against the motor - which isn't good for potential overheating, but that's no excuse for a switch to burn out, surely?

A tip I picked up, here or on Farcebook, was to use an MDF wheel for honing and polishing. Yesterday I gave it a go.

I got an MDF window sill off-cut and cut a 6" disk. Put it on the lathe to get it round and was going to put it on the grinder. Yet, as I don't have a 13mm drill bit I turned a mortise into the side of the disk for a chuck to lock in there.

After that, I mounted it on the chuck and applied a liberal coat of Autosol Solvol Chrome Polish and tried running the blades across it. WOW!! They come up well. All the lines from grinding disappear and they look amazing with a mirror finish.

That was last night. Not had chance to test them with any wood yet, but I'm looking forward to giving them a go.

I too am also thinking about a Creusen slow speed grinder. I've tried a friend's one with a CBN wheel. It's really good not having to worry about the edges going blue.

scubadoo":2p3us34t said:
Anyway, fitted the switch and swapped out the white wheel for a CBN from Toolpost and put a coarse ruby, also from Toolpost, on the left side. The grinder now runs much smoother, no vibrations and the CBN is truly a game changer.
Yeah, notwithstanding their other superb advantages the CBN wheels are famous for getting a grinder to run dead smooth – seen more than one comment from guys who have fitted one to a grinder they've used for years who say it has literally never run as smoothly.

And even for those with grinders that are very firmly mounted (so zero walking, and no visible vibrations) the drop in noise level can be remarkable.

scubadoo":2p3us34t said:
Maybe they say no wire wheel because the grinder becomes unbalanced and vibrates like a pipper?
Well that's certainly the case with poor wire wheels. But you can see plenty of good ones running nice and smooth on vids.

And coming full circle, it's not like grinding wheels are all perfectly balanced!

Back