..which glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to mitre and join the pelmits and cornices (bullnose) on kitchen wall cabinets...what is the best way to do this...pva, ca, or hot melt?

..advice much appreciated.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Best job for this is the Mitre Mate type packs such as this one from Screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-joiner ... bond/63935
It's a superglue with a spray on activator, you apply adhesive to one face, spray the other and bring them together using light pressure for about ten seconds and job done.
There is a brief couple of seconds or so before it starts to grab, so you can align the joint.
It works brilliantly on MDF and natural timber - I also use it for gluing brass tubes into blanks for pen making and other turning projects.
HTH.

cheers,
Andy

Put in a biscuit and use Cascamite would be my choice. But, whatever you use, the mitres MUST be perfect if you don't want them to open up over time.

Jim

Anything other than the generic Mitre Fast products will take too long to set.

Cheers

Karl

Sorry to hijack, but if this Mitre Mate is just CA and kicker, would it be any good for finishing turned pens? I have been looking for a local supply of CA and accelerator.

Si

The 'kicker' / activator is not necessary when finishing pens as it can cause cloudiness..

Medium CA applied with Boiled linseed oil just using the friction method works very well (its been said the even standard thin CA from the pound shop works as well.. but I have never tried it)

Back