Which glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowardM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am making up some long beams in Siberian Larch for an outdoor application, using long half lap joints.
The question is, which glue?
I was wondering about NoNails or similar although it is quite expensive.
Thks.

If for timber frame use outside, you may be better off using a "Pegged Bladed Scarf" if it is to be load bearing.

1640808739150.png

I'd give serious consideration to the above if I were you but if it helps I used Hippo 3 to glue up our new greenhouse as recommended by @MikeG. It is excellent both as an adhesive and a filler as it is also flexible as well as very strong. Bear in mind that I painted the greenhouse so assuming you don't plan to paint your larch you'd need the clear adhesive.
Search results for "Hippo 3" (travisperkins.co.uk)

Polyurethane, though it does foam everywhere or epoxy (especially if there is gaps to fill) .
I would try not to depend exclusively on glue though.

Ollie

Thanks guys,
I never heard of this hippo glue and it has good reviews, so I’ll maybe try that.
The join isn‘t loade too much , self weight really, but a couple of dowels sound a good idea.
thanks

Hi, I'm assuming this is part of a timber structure. I would go down the path of putting a star connector between the timbers and then if, in the future, you need to take the structure apart you can without having to destroy the integrity of the structure. 'Gluing up' will make this much more problematic.
I very much like Droogs answer and also the fact that you're using slow growth Siberian Larch. Wish I could get my hands on some!

if structural def go for a pegged scarf at the very least as suggested above if not i have had good results with PU adhesives outdoors but mask the external surfaces as it makes cleaning up the squeeze out much easier

Back