Which Fuse ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Spectric: You wrote, QUOTE: It is more of a get out clause, if the plug is moulded on the cable and you cut it off to change then they say you have tampered or interferred with the item. UNQUOTE:

Yeah, understood, but IMO, a pretty pathetic get out clause. We had precisely that problem when having a new kitchen fitted here, and one of the ovens supplied as part of the deal failed very early on. When they saw that the supplier (of the kitchen) had done exactly as I said and had cut off the moulded-on (German) plug and replaced with a Swiss, they tried exactly that. When the kitchen supplier told me, I took a photo of the (correctly fitted) Swiss plug and told them the failure was NOT due to the plug but was in their oven itself, and that if they didn't honour the warranty I'd take them to court. They soon shut up and supplied a new oven - with the correct Swiss plug straight away.

As you say, just a try on. And personally I think not worth bothering about.

Cheers

Thanks to everyone for replying. My only contact so far with Dictum has been pretty negative. I asked if they could quote me a delivered price and they replied saying they could not supply private customers in the UK only companies who can provide an EORI number? This is at odds with HM Gov website which says private customers do not require an EORI number. I haven't been back to Dictum yet.
Thanks once again.

Sorry to hear that. The only thing I can suggest is that the UK Brexit rules have made it difficult for them to supply retail customers in UK. Dunno, just guessing.

I'd suggest you try calling them in person. Not that expensive, especially if you get Skype (PC, no charge) or WhatsApp (no charge on your mobile).

I can't see why changing a plug (on the mains cable) will void any Warranty. I suppose IF you had a problem and the dealer could show you'd wired up your own plug incorrectly they would have a valid case for refusing a warranty claim, but if you can wire your own country's plugs correctly, and can use a pair of side cutters (see below), I really don't see a problem.

And frankly I just don't understand the need for all these adaptors either (unless you regularly use the same machine in 2 or more different countries with different mains sockets). All I do is just cut off the mains plug up as near along the cable to the plug as possible (even moulded on plugs) then chuck that in the bin and fit a "proper" plug for my own country. I do have a couple of machines that I sometimes take to use at a friend's house in Germany (different plugs to Swiss) so I own just one German/Swiss adaptor. That's it.
There are 3 current types of sockets in Italy, see images, if you count houses that still haven't got an earth there are 2 more without centre pins. If you have an Oral B electric toothbrush the plug on that won't fit any of them, the pins are wider. There is probably a 16A flat as well but Gewiss don't seem to do one. Some of the flat plugs simply won't fit the shuko because it is too deep and the plug is wider than the hole.
On the warranty side, when my Hilti drill failed, I had brought it over from Ireland/UK and changed the plug myself, Hilti in Italy would not work on the drill unless I paid 35 euro to have a new lead and plug, a shuko.
I am pretty sure there is some rule/law in Italy regarding putting on your own plug but then Italy is famous for having more laws than anyone else.

Attachments

• 10A.jpg
    10A.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 10or16.jpg
    10or16.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 3
  • shuko.jpg
    shuko.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 3
QUOTE: I am pretty sure there is some rule/law in Italy regarding putting on your own plug but then Italy is famous for having more laws than anyone else. UNQUOTE:

I must be careful here (he says) once again ducking for the nearest slit trench :) , like in an earlier post in this thread. But I always thought the laws in Italy were just like the speed limits on the Autostrada - purely optional!!!! (Sorry, I'm sure your experience tells you what to expect there).

They're not so much optional as, and it is a bit difficult to translate, for every law there is always a way of not having to follow the law.
I did have a quick look, changing the plug in Italy definitely invalidates the guarantee, which by law I believe is 2 years.
When the hinge broke on my 650 euro pair of specs, within the guarantee period, I was simply told that I had mistreated them.
Although I was born Italian, in St Marys Paddington, I spent 50 plus years of my life in the UK and Ireland.

Yeah, I believe you pgrbff. As I'm sure you realised, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I made the previous comment.

"Enjoy" your adaptor collection :)

Latest posts

Back