• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Which Fuse ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Fergie 307

Established Member
Reaction score
A good point well made. Back in the day when the fuse in the device was your first line of defence, making sure it was the correct size was undoubtedly important. Anyone nowadays running tools, or indeed anything else, without a RCD is a fool.

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
A good point well made. Back in the day when the fuse in the device was your first line of defence, making sure it was the correct size was undoubtedly important. Anyone nowadays running tools, or indeed anything else, without a RCD is a fool.
Worth remembering that an RCD is a leakage/fault detector, not overcurrent. You still need fuses/MCBs etc.

Bungalowbill63

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope nobody takes notice of the idea that replacing a 3amp fuse with a 13 amp is good practice.
This machine has a pcb which probably would be destroyed as a result of the higher rated fuse,not to mention the fire risk from an overloaded cable.
I would suggest that if fitting the correct fuse and there is still a fault seek qualified advice from Pegas, Axminster or Seyco.

scrimper

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope nobody takes notice of the idea that replacing a 3amp fuse with a 13 amp is good practice.
This machine has a pcb which probably would be destroyed as a result of the higher rated fuse,not to mention the fire risk from an overloaded cable.
I shall only say that as a fully qualified electrical engineer I disagree with this comment, However as I don't wish to enter into another argumentative discussion with you I shall not respond further.

Spectric

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Changing the rating or type of protective device is a change of the design and therefore should only be done following investigation and testing to ensure that the circuit can withstand the higher fault current and energy let through, ie no permeant damage due to the fault current. So in this context the above statement is correct but
This cannot be assumed because often the OEM will use a protective device on the PCB, this then leaves the fuse in the plug to protect the cable from short circuit conditions. Fuses do not protect against overload fault conditions, that is why motors use overload devices to protect the system, just look at a DOL starter and again this protection is often part of the PCB or starter circuit.