Which Freud Blade for table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffflinger

Established Member
Reaction score
Blades baffle the hell out of me I'm afraid.

I have a SIP 01332 which is the best Freud combination blade for the saw? Needs to be capable of a bit of ripping, bit of cross cutting and will have some plywood thrown at it too, quality needs to fair not brilliant.

This is only a temporary measure until I buy separate blades for ripping and crosscutting (I have valid reasons for not doing that just yet).

does it need to be freud? Good as they are, the Cutting Solutions ones have a lot more carbide on for the same money or less.

That said, I think that my freud was an L20M and if i recall correctly was 24T. It was a rip blade, but I used it for everything. It was an 8" so tooth count may be a few more if yours is 10"

Thanks guys.

Doesn't need to be Freud but a friend works for a retailer that gives generous staff discounts and they stock Freud Blades and yes Doug will probably be getting a call from me shortly.

The LP 30 M was the one I was looking at but the Freud website confused me. at 250mm the LP 30 M has 40 teeth and constitutes a combi blade the LP 40 M has 60 teeth and is considered a cross cutting blade and then the LP 60 M which has 80 teeth and is also considered a combi blade.

This is the bit I never get. Yes I appreciate the teeth are cut differently but Freud describe the blades in order as;

40 tooth 30M "These blades are designed with an average number of teeth and are particularly fit for both long grain and cross grain cutting solid wood.These blades give a good finish if used in this way."

60 tooth 40M "These blades are designed with a high number of teeth and are particularly fit for cross grain cutting solid wood.These blades give a good finish if used in this way."

This was the one that got me

80 tooth 60M "These blades have an average number of teeth and are particularly fit for both long grain and cross grain cutting solid wood."

Yes I know the configuration of the teeth are different but I really was confused by the descriptions. The only thing I could glean is that they seem to suggest "pictorially" that the 60M is appropriate for sheet material and the 30M isn't.

If you can explain in one sentence and I understand you win today's star prize! If not please send me another Valium.

I do know they will all do what I need for the next month or so before I move to two dedicated blades and I shouldn't get bent out of shape but think I have some cause?

i had the same confusion. I bought the one that was in the clearance section at toolstation once. It listed it as a rip blade IIRC, but the finish was pretty good for cross cutting. It certainly cross cut better than the cross cut blade ripped when I didnt change it over for a quick cut.

I wouldnt fancy ripping with an 80 tooth blade, unless it was veneer, or something like a faced board (I have never needed to cut this so am guessing). If you can get a good deal on the freud, they are very good blades. Also check your riving knife- my kity required me making a thinner one for the Freud blade, although not a bog or difficult job.

You need the right blade for the job, and there is no such thing as an "average" number of teeth.
Doug is your man. He will sell you the right blade for the job at a fair price. I'm not knocking Freud, in fact a Freud Thin Kerf Blade is the standard on my machine. But I cheat, in that I use a blade (sorry, I do not have the model number to hand) which is an excellent combo. A few rip teeth interspersed with crosscut teeth. As compromises go it is a good one.

The issue about a suitable riving knife is an important one. You will probably have to make one yourself.

S

PS The blade I have is not available in the UK, I had it imported privately, by a very generous and co-operative forum member ( who has, unfortunately, be absent for far too long).

But as I say, Doug is your man. He will sort you out.

I've bought blades from Cutting Solutions and Wealden in the past and both have been excellent.

I don't know why they're not, but for some reason Wealden's aren't mentioned when discussing saw blades. The 235mm rip blade I bought recently is of exceptional quality and very reasonably priced.

Mark

mark aspin":2wmyy1n9 said:
I've bought blades from Cutting Solutions and Wealden in the past and both have been excellent.

I don't know why they're not, but for some reason Wealden's aren't mentioned when discussing saw blades. The 235mm rip blade I bought recently is of exceptional quality and very reasonably priced.

Mark

The Wealden ones are Arkinson Walker ones IIRC

marcros":dzby71bm said:
The Wealden ones are Arkinson Walker ones IIRC

If they are then the Wealden blades are about £11 cheaper, making them even better value. :D

Latest posts

Back