Which fixings for concrete post?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok mum wanted a new gate so I made her a simple rail and stile boarded gate. Going to fit between a garage wall and the usual concrete fence post. The question is which fixing to use in the concrete post, I would usually use frame fixings but not sure these are ideal for the post. Attaching 4 X 2 to the post, so chemical anchors, expanding fixings or big rawl plugs. Your suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Chemical anchor, any fixing that expands could possibly blow the concrete. There is also a very strong chance that you will expose the re-bar when you drill the hole. This will rust, expand and blow the concrete. The chemical anchor effectively repairs this by making the hole water proof and air tight.

I’ve used thunderbolts internally (fitting a fireplace) and they work superbly. However, not sure if they are suitable externally where corrosion would be an issue.

I would make every effort to hinge from the garage wall side, much easier and probably more successful to fasten a timber plate there for weight bearing.

Otherwise, some concrete posts are pre-drilled for different fixings and if you are lucky to have one of those you can just bolt through in two or three places to hold the timber plate.

The hinges are indeed going the garage side so the timber on the post will be the slam panel, there will be little weight just the 4 x 2 post, I will try the chemical anchors methinks as I was concerned about the concrete blowing and that solves the issue.
Thunderbolts, I saw those online are they simply a self tapping bolt? are they as good as the blurb?

Many thanks.

Yes, they are. You just drill a clearance hole (8mm in the ones I usually use) and a smaller one (6mm) in the stone or concrete you're mounting to. They are better than many frame fixings as they more easily adjusted - e.g. if you're fixing a door frame and pull it in too far, it's easy to loosen the bolt, pack the frame off and do the bolt up tight again. Some sleeve anchors and frame fixings don't do up well the second (or third or fourth :D ) time. There are now other brands that are probably equally good.

Back