Which files are recommended for saw sharpening?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have only recently managed to get the hang of saw sharpening .. well enough to attempt at last a 12" cross cut tenon successfully. I must admit I had come pretty close to giving up and reverting to throw away hardpoints. I have gone through quite a few old cheap rip and panel saws practicing and quite a lot of slim and double slim three sided files too.
Can any of you old hands tell me how many 'sharpenings' would you expect to get out of your files and which brands would you recommend? I am presently using Bahco as these have been recommended but I have gone through a few of them and seem to dish them pretty quickly but that could be me being a little heavy handed. I have tried Nicholsons but they wear out even quicker and have not been too easy to use either. I know my technique leaves a lot to be desired ( still busy practicing) and I am perhaps a little heavier handed than I should be but my files seem to wear out pretty quickly. I seem to getting only one saw per edge on average. Is this me or the files?

I use Bahco, decent performance and not very expensive. Just a pitty they don't have 4" xxs. So I use a Bahco needle file for the dovetail saw.

Yorkshire Sam":37sm5npv said:
Can any of you old hands tell me how many 'sharpenings' would you expect to get out of your files

There aren't many good saw doctors, one or two of the best claim that they use a fresh file for each saw! I think that's going a bit far, but I wouldn't expect more than three or four sharpenings from each of the three "faces" of a file. Frankly I tend to chuck the file pretty quickly if it's the slightest bit suspect, compared to the cost of your time the file is a cheap consumable.

I use the ones from Classic Hand Tools.

With due respect to grandmothers and eggs, only have the file in contact with the metal on the push stroke otherwise it blunts the teeth prematurely.

Cheers

Oz

A light touch,
Plenty of French chalk,
Lifting between strokes,
Keeping the saw plate low in the chops,
Checking that the chops are slightly undercut so that they only bite at the top.
Although files are consumable you can use older ones for rougher jobs like retoothing and save the newest one for the final passes.

I think that's everything.

AndyT":1uff1saz said:
FenceFurniture has put a lot of work into buying and testing saw files (there's more on the Aussie forum - but Andy's link is a good summary), and has recently closed off a bulk buy of Liogier rasps, files and saw files (which are not shown on Liogier's website). They are, of course, much more expensive than Indian made files from the big manufacturers.

I'm eagerly waiting for mine to arrive....

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2jg5u09u said:
AndyT":2jg5u09u said:
FenceFurniture has put a lot of work into buying and testing saw files (there's more on the Aussie forum - but Andy's link is a good summary), and has recently closed off a bulk buy of Liogier rasps, files and saw files (which are not shown on Liogier's website). They are, of course, much more expensive than Indian made files from the big manufacturers.

I'm eagerly waiting for mine to arrive....

Cheers, Vann.

The buy is done and CLOSED??? I'd asked to join that, signed the petition mid last year and apart from a few updates to the petition, heard nothing more - I thought it was not done...

rafezetter":12xlwk81 said:
The buy is done and CLOSED??? I'd asked to join that, signed the petition mid last year and apart from a few updates to the petition, heard nothing more - I thought it was not done...
I suggest you PM FenceFurniture and express your displeasure (nicely. of course). I only found out because I was on his mailing list due to participating in a previous bulk-buy (rasps or drill bits IIRC). He'll most likely do another bulk-buy in due course.

Cheers, Vann.

rafezetter":3pz16h6g said:
Nah, nah, nah, don't get excited. I am still in the process of getting a new type of file made, but there are very few manufacturers who are capable of producing to spec (maybe 2 or 3). I've heard absolutely nothing from one of those manufacturers for 6-8 months, and the other is just far too busy with current work to entertain new development. However, another idea has been formed with the help of the busy manufacturer, and the job may be outsourced to another. Just a little problem there is that (rather well known) company has just been sold and so they will have a settling in period, you would have to think. If this option comes off the files would be of the best possible standard, but there is research and discussion to be done.

Don't worry - when I get the files made you'll all know about it - bigtime! It will not just be a one-off, but a standard item for retail stock.

The buy that Vann is referring to was just a purchase of the current Liogier saw (and other) files for some Aussies and a Kiwi. These are the files as described in the original Test Report, not new ones.

Thanks Vann! :mrgreen:

Back