Which Festool sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new sander and have decided on a festool, the problem is the amount of choice, i have been researching them for some time but still undecided.

It will be used for finishing, sanding painted cabinets/furniture but i also want to be able to use for heavy sanding from time to time. It may also get used for sanding the odd wall or two prior to painting.
I have bee looking at the following,

ETS EC 125/3
ETS EC 150/3
ETS EC 150/5

But for no much more i could actually get,
ETS 150/3 or ETS 150/5
and RTS 400

I don't want to buy on sander then when i add to my collection end up with something very similar or that could do the job.

Cheers
Mark

If it’s for finish sanding on painted surfaces I’d go for the ETS 150/3 as the 3 relates to the orbital pattern size, I bought the ETS 150/5 as I predominantly sand wood & the 5 has a bigger orbital pattern

Thanks Doug, would you spend the extra on the EC model and would you think you could use the 150/5 as a finisher or is it just not made for that?
Thanks

The ETS EC150/3 is a fantastic sander, but not really suited to heavy removal. Absolutely no hesitation recommending it otherwise. The RTS 400 is useful for some tasks, but gets used far less. TBH I didn’t know that they still sold the non EC version, but the brushless motor would swing it for me anyway.

I don’t disagree with what’s been said, but I have the older 150/3, 150/5, and RTS400; the 150/3 rarely gets used as the 150/5 is very capable of prepping paintwork, but can be used more aggressively as well. The RTS 400 is the perfect orbital sander, and a combination of that with the 150/5 covers most of what I want to do.

The ETS EC 150/5 is 2/3 the weight of the older model though, abs is brushless. 🤷‍♂️

So it looks like the 150/5 should work and then i can add something smaller later on to get into those tighter spots?

If anyone has the newer 150/5 EC, does the 5mm sanding stroke make it harder to work with?

Can’t answer the 150/5 EC question as I’ve not used it as I’ve said I’ve the ETS150/5 & also have the RO 90 both of which so far has covered all my sanding needs the RO 90 giving me Rotex, delta & ROS in one tool

Just to go slightly off topic as i am about to place an order, I am thinking of getting a selection of discs.
I am thinking 80, 120, 150, 180 - would you get any higher grit or miss any out?

It will mostly be used on furniture or mdf panels and i may decide to do the decking at some point when the weather is better.

Thanks again for all of you comments.

I wouldn't dream of using 80 on furniture or mdf lol, it was more for my decking when we get some better weather but 80 might be a bit harsh for that too.

Decking tends to be wet as it’s stored outside so I can’t imagine sanding it as it would just clog up the abrasive 🤷‍♂️

If you're buying in a selection of grits, I'd suggest getting more of the lower grits as they tend to wear out faster than the higher ones. Once you're past 120 / 150 there's far less to clog or rip them.

Back