which dust extractor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdguk

Reaction score
hi.

I need some advice on buying a dust extractor.

I have very recently been given the all clear after being treated for a rare form of cancer of the pharynx (behind the nose and the back of the throat). My wife and myself are understandable concerned about me continuing with my hobbies, which are lovespoon carving and knife making. No-one knows what caused the cancer I had but there is supposition toward either viral or contaminants being a possible cause.

I use a 6 inch cut bandsaw, a scrollsaw, a pillar drill ( drilling and with drum sanders) and hand sand my projects.

I do use a P3 non powered respirator.

I have looked at Camvac extractors, but which would be suitable. When using a scroll saw I would need to attach a 2.5" inch hose and use the poseable hose. Would a single motor be powerful enough or would I need a twin or triple motor?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I have the Camvac 286 ( single motor ) and the suction is surprisingly strong. The Toolpost in Didcot ( www.toolpost.co.uk ) have them attached to the posable hoses in their demo rooms and they seem more than happy with them.

I prefer the extra suck of the twin motor version as I find the single a bit weak but I also use two lengths of hose and a cyclone so if you just had 1 length attached to a small camvac you could move around it might be ok.

Need to get the hose as close to the creation of the dust as possible as the suck falls off quickly the further away from the hose end you are.

Thanks both for responding.

I think that I'll go for a twin motor unit. It might be a bit of overkill, but it'll give me a little more peace of mind.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back