Which Dremel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone believing this is dull (and is my last post on this thread) please have a look at the Yahoo Nick Lowe group guitar tuning postings of the last day. Beyond compare...

Aww... and there was me thinking I could get another 3900 odd postings up like it and catch Alf up! :D

I'm guessing that was deliberate, but "beginners" would be more appropriate. If less ironic.

Jake":39rzvh4p said:
I'm guessing that was deliberate, but "beginners" would be more appropriate. If less ironic.
Does anyone ever roll their eyes and mutter "Huh. Beginners" though? :?

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Watch and learn, chaps. This is how you increase post numbers with meaningless waffle :wink: :lol:

KeithG":3qmu9ckt said:
I have started doing a bit of relief carving, mainly to decorate furniture projects and I was wondering which Dremel to go for, to tidy up after the gouges esp those tricky bits between the ridges which need smoothing. There is a lithium battery Dremel on Axminster which looks useful ( http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=4 )for all sorts of DIY about the house as well but I wondered if it had the power to deal with Oak (my favourite timber). Does anyone have any experience of this? Should I go for a mains unit instead? My local dealer stocks Proxxon with a 12V minidrill and a mains one too: more wonderful German tools- any experiences?
I notice B&Q have started to stock quite a good range of Dremelware: I was in getting lightbulbs, honest.

I went to B&Q for a carving bit no 9931 cost £22.98 so I bought it thinking
it must be good, on getting home and used it I thought I would email
DREMEL to see if the price was right, the reply I got was our price is
£10.45 Plus £2.75 post the £2.75 post is for any size order, so if you are
after Dremel send for their catalogue on their web site or
tel 0845 200 1275(local rate) I will not be had again

I'd like to recommend against the Axminster "Heavy Duty Flexible Drive Unit."

A couple of years ago I had one, with various hand pieces, for Christmas. I'm not sure if my unit was a typical sample of the product or if it was a one-off problem I had, but I was appalled at the lack of quality.

The main problem I recall having was with the keyed chuck hand piece. It made the distinct noise of metal rubbing on metal whenever I tried to use it. I was not sure but believe the chuck was rubbing on its aluminium surround. Another problem with it was the fit of the chuck key in the chuck: there was so much slop due to the undersized pin on the key that it was perfectly possible to insert and rotate the chuck key without engaging the gears of the chuck's sleeve at all.

Other things I recall that I disliked about it were the cables were a little shorter than I'd have liked, and - though the spec implies otherwise - can't be smoothly controlled form 0 up to the maximum (it jumps from 0 to probably, I'd guess, around 5000revs, then smoothly from there on). This is probably not a problem in practice though.

The unit was eventually returned to Axminster for a refund.

If anyone else here has similar (or better) experience of the machine, I'd be glad to hear.

Cheers

Neil

i preferred the older mini craft drills, but sadly they are no longer made,
the proxxon is a really good product and many modellers use them.

dremel being american tend to have marketing muscle, and it is a decent product, but i feel that for carving, a flexible shaft is the best way to go.

however, i would suggest buying a mains motor unit and a proper flexi shaft, rather than the hand held drills which are not designed for this kind of continued use, no matter what the manufacturers (and agents martin :lol: :twisted: ) say. seem to remember alex tiranti are the place to go for the proper relatively inexpensive industrial quality product. or try you local jewellery type tool outlet or indeed shesto.

paul :wink:

As I have been mentioned I feel I should chip in!

Despite the comments above, my suggestion for carving would be a dedicated tool. The Mini drills I have used are fine but for carving work I would choose something built for that purpose.

I am happy to give much more detailed comments just PM me.

Happy new year.

Martin

Back