Which Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I know this question has probably been asked before but I have a chance to get either the DF500 or 700 and I am not sure which one to get. my project tend not be be any bigger than 18mm board so I’m edging towards the DF500, but then understand with adaptors the DF700 will do smaller sizes. I think the only “big board” project coming up is to build a front door portch/canopy thing but even that I can do with two by fours.

what do you guys think?

thanks

I'd go with the 500 because it is easier to handle. The 700 is quite clunky for smaller projects. You can also buy quite a few dominos with the money saved from the upgrade to the 700 and Seneca adapter.

The truth is only you know the answer, the best bet is to ask for a Festool rep to come & demonstrate both tools for, that will give you the best idea using both dominos in your shop.

Last edited:
I'm interested too as I almost bought one in the summer. I was going to get the 500 but I do have a few gates to make at home too

I have both, but if my work was with 18mm and smaller stock, I would have only the DF500.

The size difference between the DF500 and DF700 is substantial. I used the DF700 for three days on a large rail project and it was very tiresome.

I'm interested too as I almost bought one in the summer. I was going to get the 500 but I do have a few gates to make at home too

The DF500 comes with a 5mm cutter, but other cutters and tenons are available in 4, 6, 8, and 10mm widths. Unless your gates are huge, I think the DF500 and appropriate sized cutter and tenons will be good.

The DF500 comes with a 5mm cutter, but other cutters and tenons are available in 4, 6, 8, and 10mm widths. Unless your gates are huge, I think the DF500 and appropriate sized cutter and tenons will be good.

And to be honest there's no reason I can't do a mortice

I have both, they are great bits of kit, especially the 700.

I don't use the 700 as much as I thought I would as I tend to do a proper mortise and tenon but it is really handy for some jobs.

The 500 will do most things, you can double up on dominos, make wider holes or even drill them out deeper if you need a bigger tenon.

If you are anywhere near me you are welcome to come over and have a play with them.

Fully agree with MikeK and Doug. I had both and sold the 700 because at that size I preferred to do a proper M&T. (Note I am not a trade professional). Much too heavy for smaller jobs, whereas the 500 can be used one handed if you need to.

Thank you all and thanks @Doug71 for the offer but I'm down south :(. The 500 seems to be out of stock in most places. In speaking with Festool they say covid is to blame but they are coming back soon

I have a 700 with the Seneca. I wanted the bigger sizes for exterior projects, but also, though heavy, I think its handle is more comfortable for me. I have some difficulty holding things like barrel-shaped jigsaws and angle grinders, and this feels a bit easier than even my Makita biscuit joiner.

Regarding stock thickness, there is an issue, in that the fence stops at 10mm above the centre line of the cutter, so even if you have the Seneca adapter, you still need to "shim" the fence. To do this I have bought some 10mm clear polycarbonate ("Perspex"), which should mean I can still dial-in the exact slot position, just by subtracting 10mm from the height scale on the machine. It doesn't affect the pop-out positioning studs.

The Seneca adapter does seem to do exactly what it should (my smallest cutter is 6mm though), which is fine, but the other limitation is there are only two settings for "waggle" on the machine - snug and quite loose. There are three on the 500. I think this might be a bigger issue with smaller domino sizes, but time will tell.

Finally, the 700 machine has a HUGE systainer. It's nice to have everything in one place, but you can't help wondering if there might have been a better way to pack it away...

I wouldn't fancy using the 700 for smaller things because, as others have said, of the size of the thing. The 500 is considerably smaller, lighter and very capable for doing cabinet sized things. That said, the 700 IMHO is generally a better thought out and designed machine having the rear handle to push with and the ability to set min and max depths.

HalfInchShy on the tubes is well worth hunting out as he's done some great videos covering both machines, the virtues of gluing both mortice and tenon, using the 700 pins for making oversized mortices and making your own mega-dominoes. Here you (say goodbye to an evening) go https://www.youtube.com/c/HalfinchshyWWing/search?query=domino

@Eric The Viking you have a great point using the Seneca and shims, but being a newbie I am not sure if I can be bothered faffing around if you know what I mean. Im edging towards the 500 and I can always double up the mortices if need be. I need to wait anyways as they are in short supply atm

Based on the videos I've seen of people making the kinds of things I want to make similarly using 18mm boards, I opted for the 500 Q-Set from toolfest which apparently will include a free 498899 Domino Assortment Systainer.

I'd never head of them, but someone else on here recommended them. I paid via paypal just in case. But £790 for all that new is a good deal I felt. No word on when its actually coming, the 500 240v seems to be in short supply just about everywhere.

https://www.toolfest.co.uk/quick-search?terms=574429

Last edited:
The Seneca adapter does seem to do exactly what it should (my smallest cutter is 6mm though), which is fine, but the other limitation is there are only two settings for "waggle" on the machine - snug and quite loose. There are three on the 500. I think this might be a bigger issue with smaller domino sizes, but time will tell.

I have had my 500 since they came out 12+ years ago, use it loads but have just realised I have never used it on the widest waggle setting 🙂

Based on the videos I've seen of people making the kinds of things I want to make similarly using 18mm boards, I opted for the 500 Q-Set from toolfest which apparently will include a free 498899 Domino Assortment Systainer.

I'd never head of them, but someone else on here recommended them. I paid via paypal just in case. But £870 for all that new is a good deal I felt. No word on when its actually coming, the 500 240v seems to be in short supply just about everywhere.

https://www.toolfest.co.uk/quick-search?terms=574429

Thats seems a good deal? As I read it free box of dominos worth £140 ish ? It comes up as £790 for me?

I have had my 500 since they came out 12+ years ago, use it loads but have just realised I have never used it on the widest waggle setting 🙂
I'm sure Peter Parfitt said he never uses it on anything but the snug setting. He actually did an excellent 40 minute video on the 500 just a week or so ago.

Back