Which do you prefer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which do you prefer?

• the old hammer and nails

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nail gun

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Hi all just thought i would set a little poll away. About a year ago i bought a compressor which i got a cheap nail gun with and after using it for a few small jobs i thought that it was the best thing since sliced bread so not long after i purchased a 15 gauge dewalt nailer for general work and an 18 gauge bostitch nailer for fine trim work.
So my question is which do you prefer the old hammer and nails or a nail gun?

Interesting Derek

I voted for option one. Hammer and nails (but I try not to use any nails at all if possible)

Hello Derek
I voted for nail guns. I have 4 and they are all differant gagues, but I havn't thrown any hammers away. :D

Reminds me when I got my first cordless drill, but I didn't throw any screwdrivers away either. (In my mind all tools have their place) :D

Travis

I myself do prefer hand tools as i find you have a lot more control for example a power plane over a hand plane i have both but i can't remember the last time i used my power plane.

Horses for courses. Every type of tool has it place.

Noel

Yep - depends what you are doing.

I've got several old 'ammers, different types, and loads of nails and pins but can't remember the last time I used them. I've no use for a nail gun and if one tool would frighten me, I think it would be one of these. Read the other day about the bloke who thought he had toothache, went to his dentist. Found that he had a nail from his gun embedded in his head - it went in so quick he didn't know he had done it! :shock: :shock:

Cheers,

Trev.

Welcome to the forum, Derek.

Midnight":1ovejx91 said:
ummmmmm.......neither...???

I prefer proper joints... failing that, screws....
Wot he said. I use the odd brass pin occasionally, but I don't think nail guns do them do they? So I'll be sticking to my Warrington pattern and keep my thumb out of the way... :lol:

Actually I've been wondering about the whole nail gun thing - I really know little to nothing about compressors and such. With a hammer I can pick it up and go to work; is there a time delay before a compressor is ready to fire a nail or anything? Are we talking a bit of planning ahead here...? :shock: I'm genuinely ignorant on the matter; it's not a troll. :D

Cheers, Alf

I voted for Nail guns and have been using them for years on site mostly cordless / hoseless Paslode guns.I do own 4 Estwing hammers of different sizes and carry one on me all the time at work but never really use it, maybe to pull out the odd nail that went mad or Beat a bit of timber in place but never ever to fix. Too much like hard work :lol:
Cheers Steve

I find the nail gun pretty useful if I've got a lot to do, and I feel safer using one if I have to put pins in next to expensive glass, very scary waving a hammer around next to it!

If it's just a couple of nails that need putting in though it's too much faffing around to get the compressor out etc. There's also something quite rewarding, primal even, about some quality time with a hammer and some 3" nails!

Alf":1xsmt57z said:
Actually I've been wondering about the whole nail gun thing - I really know little to nothing about compressors and such. With a hammer I can pick it up and go to work; is there a time delay before a compressor is ready to fire a nail or anything? Are we talking a bit of planning ahead here...?

To answer your question Alf generally once your compressor has got up to its operating pressure which is usually 8bar you can fire nails as quickley as you can pull the trigger. If you do decide to get a nail gun in my experiance its worth spending that little bit extra instead of settling for one of these cheap guns which have no depth setting and have no no mar pad (helps prevent the gun marking the wood by its nose piece) especially if you are going to use it everyday and stay clear of nailer/stapler combos.

Regards, Derek.

derek681":xuv79ecw said:
once your compressor has got up to its operating pressure
Ah, that's probably the question I should have asked. How long does that tend to take, on average? Or is it one of those "it depends" things. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Hi alf,

I have a sip 1.5hp/24ltr which has never had a problem running a nail gun it cost me £149 as part of a kit and it takes roughley 2.5 - 3mins to charge and if the nail gun gets a lot of abuse once the pressure drops to about 6bar the compressor will cycle again to top up to its maximum pressure but their is no need to stop working just cause the comp is recharging.

Derek.

I suspect that the definitive answer is that for general carpentry/first or second fix, a nail gun rules supreme. For funriture, use neither if you can avoid it :wink:

Well, that's my take on it anyway :D

Tony":1kjpvgmn said:
I suspect that the definitive answer is that for general carpentry/first or second fix, a nail gun rules supreme. For funriture, use neither if you can avoid it :wink:

I don't mean to disagree with you as everyone to their own but fans of the NYW will always see Norm favouring a nail gun when he is building his antique reproductions.

Derek.

derek681":3ai3viov said:
Tony":3ai3viov said:

I don't mean to disagree with you as everyone to their own but fans of the NYW will always see Norm favouring a nail gun when he is building his antique reproductions.

Derek.

The only thing about Norm that I dislike :)

The only thing about Norm that I dislike

likewise..

In Norm's case I can understand it; he;s looking to get a particular assembly completed to set it aside and move onto the next. I don't have that kinda space... so I glue up, leave where it's at, and abandon shop for the duration... fine excuse for a cuppa...

Back