Which digital vernier caliper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using a standard vernier caliper fro years but somehow the markings seem to be getting smaller (perhaps eyesight is getting worse :D )
I have decided to buy a digital version. Bought 1 which was complete garbage massively out everytime you checked the zero.
What makes /models of 6 inch /150mm calipers do people recommend and how much do you spend to get something decent
Ian

I had an Aldi digital caliper for a time, it worked great for a couple of years until I think cutting oil managed to get inside the buttons, it still works well but it now only reads metric. If you're working with wood and getting splashes of oil on it all the time I imagine it would work great for the everyday hobbyist. I think they were about £15 at the time.

Since I needed one that read imperial measurements I decided to get a better quality one, I didn't fancy spending silly money on a Mitutoyo so I went for a middle of the road caliper from Moore & Wright for about £50, which was the MW110-15DFC model. Nice large display on it which much larger than most others I think, lovely smooth sliding action and it's dead accurate (Or at least enough for me, anywhere near a thou is good enough :)), It reads Metric, Imperial and Fractional which is handier than you might assume. I'm quite happy with it and it didn't cost the earth.

MW110-15DFC.jpg

I would seriously suggest you look at a dial caliper. The digital ones all seem to suffer the same fundamental battery-eating problem. It's so bad you end up taking the battery out every time you use it, which is a real pain. A dial caliper is dead easy to read.

MikeG.":2y8rrvsu said:
I would seriously suggest you look at a dial caliper. The digital ones all seem to suffer the same fundamental battery-eating problem. It's so bad you end up taking the battery out every time you use it, which is a real pain. A dial caliper is dead easy to read.

None of my digital calipers suffer that problem. I changes the batteries about once a year.

I've not had problems with my aldi one, had that for a couple of years now, changed the batteries maybe once every 9 months or so, always remember to turn it off, it's accurate enough for me, if it dies I will replace it with a dial caliper probably.

I did almost exactly the same as Trevanion. Started with an Aldi special, which after about 2 years started giving measurements that were way off. I use it now without the digital scale just to get rough measurements.
Bought the same M&W one above - can't fault it.

Regarding calipers eating batteries.
I tip that was posted on the forum that I have found useful, is to lock the jaws ( little knurled screw at the top ) when you put it away.
Works for me.

fezman":2rnbyv4w said:
I did almost exactly the same as Trevanion. Started with an Aldi special, which after about 2 years started giving measurements that were way off.

Mine was doing that as well after about a year and was also reading way off and not zeroing properly, but I found after changing that battery that it read accurately again. It still reads accurately, just in metric only :lol:

Dial caliper every time. At one stage I had three digital calipers.
I never got more that two uses out of any of them before the battery failed.
My dial caliper is now 4 years old. doesnt need batteries, and can easily be read even with my old eyes. =D> =D>

I have 2 lidl ones for woodwork. one is 2 years old the other 4 and they are both still fine and as accurate as when bought. for metal work I use a Starrett dial vernier

sunnybob":3ozfwl6u said:
My dial caliper is now 4 years old. doesnt need batteries, and can easily be read even with my old eyes. =D> =D>

A dial caliper works very well and is perfectly suitable, but I find the digital is much faster and more versatile. It gives you an instant measurement reading, which you can convert with the push of a button into whichever measurement system you want it in without using conversions, You can zero it on the desired measurement and measure exactly how much material needs to be removed to reach the nominal measurement (You can do this with a dial caliper but it's far easier with digital).

Trevanion":3q3jjnqy said:
sunnybob":3q3jjnqy said:

A dial caliper works very well and is perfectly suitable, but I find the digital is much faster and more versatile. It gives you an instant measurement reading, which you can convert with the push of a button into whichever measurement system you want it in without using conversions, You can zero it on the desired measurement and measure exactly how much material needs to be removed to reach the nominal measurement (You can do this with a dial caliper but it's far easier with digital).

Not if the battery is dead you cant, :roll: :roll: 8)

I have dials and digitals - better digitals are less likely to have battery issues,
dials are great but watch out for sawdust and chips - they have tiny rack and pinion that can get contaminated .
For the modest price digital is most practical , M&W good price/quality , Mitutoyo get faked so watch out where you get them from, Starrett good - there are loads of reviews opinions online.

sunnybob":2gt38vii said:
Not if the battery is dead you cant, :roll: :roll: 8)

I keep a couple of spare batteries in the box :wink:. Although I haven't had to change them in the 1.5 years I've had the M&W.

My current go-to
Quick and accurate enough for me; bought on the bay
Mine is Metric
[youtube]PQvzbOuq4tI[/youtube]

For woodworking, basically any digital caliper will do. For metalwork, the mitutoyo digimatic is the mainstay. Watch out for fakes, though the fakes are quite adequate for woodwork.

Pedantry alert!
It’s either a digital calliper or a vernier calliper. Very difficult to be both!
Pedantic interlude over.

I’ve got the cheapo Lidl digital which works well. I also picked up a Draper dial calliper for £1 and a mitutoyo digital for 50p from a couple of boot fairs. Both work perfectly. I probably use the Draper most as it’s imperial (I always layout in inches) and has found a home above my bench where it is handy. Nothing against the other two though.

Back