Which diamond stones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get myself some diamond stones the only question I have a few farm tools like billhooks, sycthes, spades, axes etc as well as wanting to keep planes and chisels in order. Also I like buying old tools cheap so would like the chance to bring them back to life.

So thinking a coarse diamond stone as well as a fine and superfine would be a good investment. I'm sure 6x2 is adequate but quite fancy the 8 x 3 ones.

So I'm pretty sure I will buy one of eze lap or dmt but just checking that these 3 types will cover my bases as I want to use them for bringing a few age old items up to scratch too.

Finally does anyone have the axminster planer diamond stone thing? Looks a great idea for a touch up of blades in situ? Worth it?

I bought a set of three, course med and fine 150mm X 50mm for £14 including postage from eBay I use them for router cutter sharpening and honing the under and over planer blades in the block. They are about three years old now and still working well. They have the name Neilson on the wrappers.
Mike.

I bought a set of three in different grades, on different coloured plastic bases. Useful but you can see they are not flat without using a straightedge. Probably fine for bill hook etc, and perhaps get some quality ones for plane irons and chisels?

K

I have a number of the DMT 8x3 continuous diamond stones and they are top quality, I use them for knives and woodworking tools, and have their more portable diafolds too which are great for using when out and about or where it's easier to take the sharpener to the tool.

Used to have a range of the DMT 6x2 polka dot stones and they were good, but a bit small for most bench work needs for me so I sold them on.

To be honest though I always use files for things like spades and bill hooks, easier to use in the hand on larger tools and very fast and effective. The diafolds would work well too, but expensive compared to a couple of files for tools like those.

Back