Which Diamond Stone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I start this is not a question about which is best for sharpening chisels and Plane blades lol, i don't want to start an argument on the 1st day of 2021 lol.

I have been watching plenty of YouTubes recently on sharpening and especially Paul Sellers. I think i have settled on Diamond stones, either DMT or EZE Lap purely due to the fact that over time i think they are more cost effective and low maintenance.

Part of the problem is the cost and if you could only purchase two grades, what would you pick? I am thinking of maybe using wet and dry sandpaper for the initial course sharpening and then maybe a 600 and 1200 diamond stones, what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

I have 3 Vaunt diamond stones from ITS . At the moment I think that they have an offer on them and that would sort out your first problem. I have 300 600 1000 these are the first and only diamond stones I have so can't compare but I have been really pleased with mine.

320 and 1000. Sometimes you just have to remove metal hence 300 ish plus 1000 for everyday touch ups. Plus another abrasive to polish and a strop

I have a couple of the Vaunt stones from ITS as well, I bought a (medium) 600g and (extra fine) 1200g which work well, 75mm wide and 8mm thick they're heavy and acceptably flat so wide enough for plane blades and I use glass cleaner for lubrication. ITS are selling at £15 each plus VAT at the minute though there is carriage.
If I want to flatten chisel backs or plane soles, I've just done 6 of the latter, I use abrasive on a flat bit of plate so never saw the need for the coarse 300g

I have Ultex (original Vaunt trade name) plates a 300/600 and a 1000/1200, they have done me well over the last 5 years and are still going strong. I use these for all my edge tools and then a waterstone for 3k/8k for veneer and inlay stuff when needed. Just check they are flat when you get them and all will be well. and far cheaper than DMT etc.

I can recommend Atoma. Had mine for 3 years and still great. May be loads of good brands now as suggested so far. Atoma were one of the first brands doing monocrystalline plates which are considerably more durable.

I don't think any of the plates suggested so far are monocrystalline however.

I can recommend Atoma. Had mine for 3 years and still great. May be loads of good brands now as suggested so far. Atoma were one of the first brands doing monocrystalline plates which are considerably more durable.

I don't think any of the plates suggested so far are monocrystalline however.
They likely aren't Sam.
I have 2 DMT stones which I've had a long time one bought at considerable expense and the other a gift, both are lightweight encased in plastic and do a good job, I bought the Vaunt stones for their size and because of the price and they work well at a very cheap price. There's a where price compared to durability makes sense so if necessary I consider these disposables at some point. will have to wait and see.

I've used most of the main diamond stone brands, I believe the best to be Atoma.

I've also used the Ultex/Vaunt stones, they're not as good as Atoma, but for most applications they're good enough. And the price difference is just so big that you'd be crazy to disregard them.

I had an Axminster rider and when new it was excellent but did not last beyond eight or nine months before it lost it’s effectiveness. Then tried a waterstone and was really impressed with it but had to flatten it regularly and found it was really messy for my liking. I picked up a trend diamond stone as a cosmetic second direct from the manufacturer and so far really happy with the edge I get after a follow up on a leather strop. Time will tell how long it will last though.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trend-Cl...116391?hash=item1cfb3c4927:g:BfEAAOSwJrpdGNB5

Nobody has mentioned flattness, which is probably more important above 1000. I struggled to get consistant edges using a DMT and then discovered it wasn't flat. Atoma are usualy flat as well as good sharpeners.

Nobody has mentioned flattness, which is probably more important above 1000. I struggled to get consistant edges using a DMT and then discovered it wasn't flat. Atoma are usualy flat as well as good sharpeners.
I did ☝

I've had the opposite experience. The Atoma I have is noticeably less flat than my DMTs. Puts me in a quandary because I need a new coarse stone and I don't know which way to go...

I had an Axminster rider and when new it was excellent but did not last beyond eight or nine months before it lost it’s effectiveness. Then tried a waterstone and was really impressed with it but had to flatten it regularly and found it was really messy for my liking. I picked up a trend diamond stone as a cosmetic second direct from the manufacturer and so far really happy with the edge I get after a follow up on a leather strop. Time will tell how long it will last though.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trend-Cl...116391?hash=item1cfb3c4927:g:BfEAAOSwJrpdGNB5
I bought one of these cosmetically flawed ones for £45 it came and I could not spot any flaws great price and product.

I've had the opposite experience. The Atoma I have is noticeably less flat than my DMTs. Puts me in a quandary because I need a new coarse stone and I don't know which way to go...
Many of the most notable American and Canadian woodworkers using Japanese tools recommend Atoma. It isn't the best avaailable in terms of longevity but is very highly regarded in both America and Japan.

Many of the most notable American and Canadian woodworkers using Japanese tools recommend Atoma. It isn't the best avaailable in terms of longevity but is very highly regarded in both America and Japan.
I know. That’s why I bought one. But was disappointed with the flatness.

I recently got a 400 and 1200 Atoma and finish with a strop on some leather. I’m very happy with the quality and the Edge produced. They are pricy but well worth the money.

Back