Which cordless system are you going with..if any?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

A few years ago I changed my cordless drill for a Worx + 2 batteries. Long story short, I now find myself with a Worx garden strimmer and hedge cutter as they use the same batteries.

I also have a couple of other Worx corded tools that in general I have been happy with. (NB I am only a (very) amateur low level user).

Just wondering what other systems people use? or do you just buy whatever you need from any manufacturer?

I note DeWalt have some good offers at the mo, but assume they are trying to get people "hooked" onto their systems?
I have all Dewalt cordless including the table saw. I can’t fault their products.
3 year guarantee a good website where you register all your tools very easy to use.
If your on a tight budget Ryobi are very good quality for the money. I have their nail gun
But like I said I would definitely go for Dewalt, to take the majority of the saw dust away I have an adapter that fits the Henry hoover, obviously not a full on dust extraction system but it clears everything away so no need to get hooked to their system if that’s what you meant

I've had 2 poor experiences with Makita cordless drills (gearboxes packing up) so I've gone over to DW and have recently bought a hedge trimmer - really impressive machine.
Brian

for those not familiar with the Avena sativa Powerbank System, it appears to have been invented by this guy below
1633861333421.png

Before his terrible disfiguring "accident" he apparently went around looking like this

1633861433879.png

Hope that clears up any confusion

As a casual user I built up a collection of corded tools over about 40 or 50 years (a couple of them are still going strong)

More jobs when we moved house plus work at the allotment meant a need for a couple of cordless drill/drivers - Einhell seemed to fit my price point and the potential range of tools with a common battery platform.

I have and am happy with dewalt, moving from ryobi.
I almost started with Makita because they do a fan which would have been very useful camping. Now, as pointed out above, I know they do a coffee machine I am again tempted. Asking permission from the boss, the answer comes back you can have one if they do an 18v sewing machine too :(

I’ve gone the Dewalt route completely, 2 drills, 2 drivers, jigsaw, grinder, multi tool, laser level and finder, second fix gun, and radio. Sometimes I’d wised I’d gone down Makita route, as some of their bare tools are considerably cheaper than DW versions, but I’m not going into the two system setup and I’m happy with the quality of DW. I do have the paslode 1st fix though.
For the garden, all my tools are battery Stihl, mower, strummer, blower, hedge trimmer and chainsaw all using the same batteries. Loads of power for an urban garden after downsizing from a two acre site utilising all Stihl petrol gear.

I like the twin Makita 18v setup - it seems more balanced than the single battery tools. Generic batteries have worked well for me but you really need two sets if you want to get more than about an hour - especially with gardening tools.

All my battery tools a few corded and my nail gun are Makita. I have a few others by Triton and Record Power but these are corded machines. I am extremely happy with Makita and have no wish to change.

Panasonic for years but switched to Makita last couple of years. Had looked at DeWalt but couldn't get on with the colour.......

I’ve gone the Dewalt route completely, 2 drills, 2 drivers, jigsaw, grinder, multi tool, laser level and finder, second fix gun, and radio.
The Dewalt radio is excellent but mine is battery only which can be a pain when using it in the workshop as it ties up a battery so I've bought a duff 1.5Ahr battery off eBay, took out the cells, used an old 18v laptop power adapter and bought a couple of cheap step down power circuit boards to drive the battery monitoring circuit which needs 3.5v. I will solder in the 2 circuit boards into the 1.5Ahr shell and test it but currently glazing the new greenhouse before the weather changes again.

If is is up
As a casual user I built up a collection of corded tools over about 40 or 50 years (a couple of them are still going strong)

More jobs when we moved house plus work at the allotment meant a need for a couple of cordless drill/drivers - Einhell seemed to fit my price point and the potential range of tools with a common battery platform.
I have one of Robs tools an Aldi circular saw which struggles in 3/4" pine cladding do you think a bigger battery would help.

Cheers James

The DeWalt jigsaw isn't particularly good
I'll check the reviews then, but ive got an occasional problem with the makita as it sometimes doesnt / wont cut straight, the blade twists in the holder and you have to skew the body to follow the blade. A blow out with an airline and some wd40 usually sorts it, but im seriously fed up of it, i like things working well so i can concentrate on being accurate. ( its brushless, plenty of power )

Edit for poor spelling ( typing too quick )

I standardised on Makita 18V Lxt a few years ago using 5Ah battery packs. I have one bit of DeWALT kit, the DW717 compound saw, which is excellent but not battery. DeWALT is owned by Black & Decker.

Nothing but good things to say about Makita. The tools get a lot of abuse, are comfortable to use (I have big hands) well balanced and have never let me down. I do medium level work with them, though I've cut RSJs with the angle grinder and driven many1,000s of big screws in with the impact driver.

I used to use Bosch - first the 24v O line, then the current 10.8/12v and 18v.

However given the recent Bosch quality, customer service and lack of range issues, I have switched to a mix of Festool 18v and Hikoki for new and replacement tools.

When we started our business we used some of the older Ryobi units and have been unhappy with the quality even though the price was OK. The batteries just never lasted and held their charge.

I switched to DeWalt and have been happy ever since.

We no longer use the tools professionally but I now have a half a dozen 18v drills, several chargers, a second fix nail gun and a random orbital sander and use the stuff around the house. I see no reason to change to a different brand.

I had a number of different makes, including Bosch, Ryobi and AEG. A couple of years ago my AEG drill, which had a lifetime guarantee, went up in smoke after about 10 years. I contacted the service agent who initially said it would be repaired in a few days, then rang to say that parts weren’t available and told me that the parent group were offering a 2x4ah 18v Milwaukee drill as a replacement. (Ryobi, AEG & Milwaukee are the same group)
I then added an impact driver plus a third battery.
Then in “Lockdown 1” my daughter went on a purge of some of her unwanted stuff via Gumtree/FB Marketplace and I ended up selling all the other cordless kit during that phase of madness. With the proceeds I now am 100% Milwaukee cordless and I find it great.
For what it’s worth, the service agent showed me the skip full of stuff returned under warranty and dumped - it was a bright green sea of Ryobi and looked mostly brand new.

If is is up

I have one of Robs tools an Aldi circular saw which struggles in 3/4" pine cladding do you think a bigger battery would help.

Cheers James

Not sure about a bigger battery - I only used it to cut some 1 x 5 treated boards to frame beds at the allotment - cutting slowly seemed to be better ?

Last edited:
Back