Which cordless system are you going with..if any?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevebod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few years ago I changed my cordless drill for a Worx + 2 batteries. Long story short, I now find myself with a Worx garden strimmer and hedge cutter as they use the same batteries.

I also have a couple of other Worx corded tools that in general I have been happy with. (NB I am only a (very) amateur low level user).

Just wondering what other systems people use? or do you just buy whatever you need from any manufacturer?

I note DeWalt have some good offers at the mo, but assume they are trying to get people "hooked" onto their systems?

The vast majority of my cordless tools are Makita (and I have quite a few along with about a dozen batteries), I started using them shortly after they introduced their 18v lithium platform and, on the whole, I've been very happy with them - as I was with my corded Makita tools, some of which I still own and use e.g. SDS drill, biscuit joiner, circular saw, jigsaw.

That said, I won't buy something I think is inferior just to stick with the Makita battery platform - If I don't like the look/feel of a Makita tool, I'll buy something I do like. e.g. I bought the Fein AMM700 cordless Multimaster because, having tried both the Fein and the Makita, I thought the Fein was a better tool with more power and less vibration.

Avoid Bosch. I went the bosch route without considering what else they had in the range and found out too late its pretty minimal
Seems they just dont get it and have limited their bare tools to just a handful. Makita or the hobby stuff like worx or ryobi.
If i had it over I'd more than likely opt for makita.
Fein AMM700 cordless Multimaster
Fein to my knowledge invented this technology. It was originally a shopfitters/plumbers/sparx tool.
The makita bare tool is a shade over 100 quid, uses the 18v batteries as with drills etc.
The fein stuff is more expensive and the multimaster is about £450, same with the drills, but although its probably better made, the range is poor like bosch's, just the basic stuff.

Makita do a cordless 18v coffee maker. For that alone it has to be the best choice :LOL: plus they do chainsaws and damn near everything you could ever want or need.

Fein to my knowledge invented this technology. It was originally a shopfitters/plumbers/sparx tool.
The makita bare tool is a shade over 100 quid, uses the 18v batteries as with drills etc.
The fein stuff is more expensive and the multimaster is about £450, same with the drills, but although its probably better made, the range is poor like bosch's, just the basic stuff.

Makita do a cordless 18v coffee maker. For that alone it has to be the best choice :LOL: plus they do chainsaws and damn near everything you could ever want or need.
Yes, the Fein Mutimaster was more expensive than the Makita equivalent but having had one run-in with pins & needles/numbness in my fingers from some extended sessions with my old (corded) multitool, for me, the reduction in vibration was an important factor

At the time I got it the bare tool was about twice the price of the Makita. Unfortunately I couldn't buy the bare tool as I needed the 18v batteries, charger etc. so that put up the cost, luckily I found the full kit at a discounted price so it was closer to £300 than the £395 that FFX are currently charging
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/F....0Ah-Cordless-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-Set-60Pc
I agree that the staggering range of 18v Makita tools is a big bonus - the 36v tools that take 2 x 18v batteries makes it even more flexible...

Last edited:
I'm a low-level user when it comes to tools that plug in or use batteries. Years ago, I started with a ridgid set of tools that HD sells, but they didn't last. The drill wore out quickly and two of the three batteries failed within a couple of years. Out of cheapness, I bought a ryobi drill and impact driver with two batteries (1.5ah lithium) for $99. That'll probably never be seen again. Both still work. I bought another stronger ryobi drill (brushless) a while ago (more power, faster speed to drill metal) and now have 8 total batteries and about 15 tools. The only thing that's ever crapped out of the cheap green stuff is one small handheld vac (wife wore it out).

Since until the last several years, it was an undesirable line of tools, I've always been able to find 4ah lithium batteries either sold without packaging by flippers or sold as refurb with guarantee for around $30 each. All of the batteries still work - they may have lost some capacity, but I wouldn't notice - I don't let them run down.

the only thing I wish ryobi would do is make tools that run on a pair of 18v batteries instead of a single 40v battery, but I can guess why they do that. It's probably cheaper to make tools that only use one battery, and then they can sell the batteries on top of that. which given the fact that lithium capacity is about a 5th of what it was a little more than a decade ago, haven't changed much in price and must be a huge profit center.

(oh my...just looked it up. I thought it was presumptuous that they were $120 about 10 years ago for two 4ah packs, but they're $178 now at home depot. That's filthy).

The wife has a Stihl string trimmer and that's the only cordless tool on the property. I'm okay dragging a cord or an air hose around and the funny thing is that even when sitting on the shelf for a few years they start up every time and will run all day if I need them to. Even the Black and Decker saw my dad bought when I made my way around on my hands and knees in the 1950's still works. So I am probably sitting alone in the none category.

Pete

So I am probably sitting alone in the none category.
I only have three cordless Makita drills/drivers and the other tools 110 volt because I do not want my tool life to be dependant on a battery. As you say you can forget about them and not worry about battery degredation, lithium batteries self discharge and unless looked after become U/S but corded just plug it in.

I have quite a few cordless items from the Makita range and am really happy with them. I have become a little more work shop based in the last 18 months and find my self reaching for the corded tools a lot more.

Conclusion being that cordless works great for me when I need mobility however when I am working more statically the corded kit is preferred. I wouldn’t be with out my cordless strimmer and hedge trimmer.

Started on Makita 18v NiCad then moved over to DeWalt Li-on drill, impact driver, circular saw, and angle grinder which are excellent but now strangely drawn to Metabo. I've had a Metabo Duo Corded Sander for years that I've now replaced with a Metabo Mirka clone that is superb so I'm wondering what their cordless drills are like. I don't know why as the Dewalt Impact Driver and Drill are excellent and so robust; the XR 18V batteries have never let me down. :unsure:

Oh and a great cordless Dewalt dab radio...

Hi all,

A few years ago I changed my cordless drill for a Worx + 2 batteries. Long story short, I now find myself with a Worx garden strimmer and hedge cutter as they use the same batteries.

I also have a couple of other Worx corded tools that in general I have been happy with. (NB I am only a (very) amateur low level user).

Just wondering what other systems people use? or do you just buy whatever you need from any manufacturer?

I note DeWalt have some good offers at the mo, but assume they are trying to get people "hooked" onto their systems?
I was mostly dewalt but last year discovered Evolution Powertools. My friend works on site regularly and swears by them.
I love them. The tools themselves are well priced and hardy enough to last on site. The customer service is great.the blades on the cutters are awesome. Highly recommended

I have mostly makita. About 18 months ago i bought an 18v dewalt 2nd fix gun, then the 1st fix about a year ago. My makita 481 dissapeared so i bought a cheapie dewalt with twin 5ah for 150 quid on offer, so i niw have about 11 makita batteries and 4 dewalt. I will be buying a dewalt jigsaw when my makita annoys me next! Most of my makita kit is great. The dw 1st fix gun broke after less than 1000 nails, which is common ( not impressive ) so my conclusion is that they will all have some great kit and some problems.

I have mostly makita. About 18 months ago i bought an 18v dewalt 2nd fix gun, then the 1st fix about a year ago. My makita 481 dissapeared so i bought a cheapie dewalt with twin 5ah for 150 quid on offer, so i niw have about 11 makita batteries and 4 dewalt. I will be buying a dewalt jigsaw when my makita annoys me next! Most of my makita kit is great. The dw 1st fix gun broke after less than 1000 nails, which is common ( not impressive ) so my conclusion is that they will all have some great kit and some problems.
I've been thinking about getting a nail gun. But have no clue what to get. First fix/second fix/Brad etc.

Probably the most I would be nailing is 2" x 1" wood.
Any recommendations?

2nd fix guns often fire up to 64mm nails ( all of mine have ) so that's probably the best option. They are 16g. You can get 18g which is a thinner nail, those guns usually max out at 50mm, they are best for pinning on small mouldings as the head sizes are very small. A first fix is for framing, ie, studwork and roofing

Started out with all makita stuff but kept my eyes peeled for bargains that might tempt me to widen my range and eventually added some dewalt bits too so now have access to both platforms , along with the odd exception , where stepping back from a platform makes sense as they don’t have an equivalent tool to the same standard..eg my mirka deros.

So I am probably sitting alone in the none category.
Not quite alone. I also have none. I did try a cheapo drill a few years ago but hated it. Battery always flat when I went to use it, and a charge never seemed to last. When it died I didn't replace it.

2nd fix guns often fire up to 64mm nails ( all of mine have ) so that's probably the best option. They are 16g. You can get 18g which is a thinner nail, those guns usually max out at 50mm, they are best for pinning on small mouldings as the head sizes are very small. A first fix is for framing, ie, studwork and roofing
Thanks

Having had a look it appears that I have apparently bought into 2 power systems. I have a couple of Erbauer drill/drivers and the rest of my cordless stuff is powered by the Avena sativa powerbank system, apart from the really annoying Dewalt jigs saw that has batteries that run on Cantholdontium Power

I need help!!! I've even got the hedge trimmer that fits the same batteries!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210806_163149.jpg
    IMG_20210806_163149.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 68
The DeWalt jigsaw isn't particularly good - the base is alloy and twists out of shape. Mine cracked (as I suspected it would) when I tried to straighten it - it had to be tried, it jumped about so badly as to make it virtually unusable.
Also, the sole drifts out of square as the cam works loose. Mine was cabled tied within a day of its purchase.

Back