Which cordless drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
The batteries on my Milwaukee 18v are shot, and unfortunately they changed the design a few years ago, so I can't get hold of replacement batteries anywhere.

So, I put it to the jury, which drill should I go for? I have no real brand preference but need a decent combi drill, and I may even be tempted to go for a kit with an impact driver.

Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Metabo, Panasonic, Fein, Festool, Makita????

Thanks
Aled

You already doubtless know where my loyalties lie - Makita. However I do also rate the Metabo 18v Li-Ion stuff. The only reason I've not stocked up on Metabo is that to replace all my Makita kit would cost thousands.

love my milwalkee drill set wish i had of forked out for the new fuels tho they are super powerful and batteries last longer even tho they r the exact same just a more efficient drill as its brushless.
the makitas have to much plastic for me to consider them they burn out in a trade enviroment. the dealt impact driver was super powerful nearly two strong.

thats all the advice i can give. Milwalkees r stupid money in europe tho nearly pay u to make a holiday to the states if u were buying a set :)

rdesign":ryjiw9i1 said:
the makitas have to much plastic for me to consider them they burn out in a trade enviroment.

Really???? Like for like they are no more plasticy than any other brand. As for burning out on site, did you have the proper heavy duty models with alu gearboxes or the entry level ones aimed at the DIY market? I've had Makita Li-Ion since 2006 and I've never had a failure on site apart from my oldest battery finally giving up about 8 months ago.

MMUK":1y60ms3s said:
rdesign":1y60ms3s said:
the makitas have to much plastic for me to consider them they burn out in a trade enviroment.

Really???? Like for like they are no more plasticy than any other brand. As for burning out on site, did you have the proper heavy duty models with alu gearboxes or the entry level ones aimed at the DIY market? I've had Makita Li-Ion since 2006 and I've never had a failure on site apart from my oldest battery finally giving up about 8 months ago.

LCT200SW_RAW_4.jpg

two of my coworkers bought these drills same time I bought my milwalkees they were the exact same price but would pick mine every day, as the chucks are all metal. one of the makita completely failed was replaced under warranty the other one was all rough from drilling next to sharp edges and getting all cut up. my milwalkee just has a bit of paint removed off its chuck.

just my experience.
Richard

Attachments

• LCT200SW_RAW_4.jpg
    LCT200SW_RAW_4.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,362
Working on site I've seen quite a few lads work with the makita 18v sets (which includes the makita combo drills, impact driver, saw, grinder, torch) and never seen any problems with them, Batteries started failing after a couple of year hard use but thats about it.

I personally have used the same dewalt 18v drill driver for the past 12 years, 8 of those being out on site. I've had to replace two battery and the speed controller in that time. Yes the chuck became rough over time (like resign co-workers makita) from it coming into contact with edges etc.... but that will happen to any plastic chuck coming into contact with a metal edge be it dewalt, makita, milwalkee, panasonic etc etc.

Based on my previous experience with the dewalts and trying out a friends dewalt circular saw and impact driver I'm currently waiting to take delivery on a dewalt 5 piece set.

My vote would be dewalt (personal experience of owning) followed by makita (seen used onsite loads and have borrowed back and fore)

MMUK":127u57vl said:
rdesign":127u57vl said:

You could not pay me to have another Makita Lithium Drill
My experience of the cordless drills so far........ well since 2006 anyway

1. Milwalkee
2. De-Walt
3. AEG
4 .Metabo
5. Makita

North Wood":23yzommb said:
Yes the chuck became rough over time (like resign co-workers makita) from it coming into contact with edges etc.... but that will happen to any plastic chuck coming into contact with a metal edge be it dewalt, makita, milwalkee, panasonic etc etc.

Not if its an all metal chuck like the milwalkee :D

its a minor thing the dewalts are great I found the driver to be too strong and actually ring the head of lag bolts and screws...

Makita and Dewalt are good but having had all over the last 9 years or so I would not have anything but Milwaukkee

rdesign":tdevs32s said:
MMUK":tdevs32s said:
rdesign":tdevs32s said:

two of my coworkers bought these drills same time I bought my milwalkees they were the exact same price but would pick mine every day, as the chucks are all metal. one of the makita completely failed was replaced under warranty the other one was all rough from drilling next to sharp edges and getting all cut up. my milwalkee just has a bit of paint removed off its chuck.

just my experience.
Richard

No surprise, both that drill and impact driver are entry level "DIY" models. If they'd bought the proper heavy duty models they wouldn't have experienced those problems.

I would say 99% of the problems people I know of who've experienced issue with Makita drills are down to them not buying the correct spec drill in the first place.

Aled, what do you want to use your drill for, and how often?

If you're screwing then an impact driver will make a world of difference but it would be useful to know what your needs are in order to offer some advice.

All I can say is that I see all sorts of makes on site, the most common that I see is Makita but I think you have to go high end to get decent makita. The lower price stuff isn't that good IMHO. I had an 18v Makita and the plastic chuck regularly came undone and it didn't have much power. I used a £400 Makita Drill / impact driver combo recently and that was very different.

MMUK":19c7u572 said:
No surprise, both that drill and impact driver are entry level "DIY" models. If they'd bought the proper heavy duty models they wouldn't have experienced those problems.

I would say 99% of the problems people I know of who've experienced issue with Makita drills are down to them not buying the correct spec drill in the first place.

ok but then ur spending more money? I'm comparing the Milwalkee to the machete that are the exact same price and one has stood up better. the fuels are the top of the line Milwalkees and they are only 100 dollars more which I had bought that model when I got mine but I still have a great drill.

Have owned my drill since sep 2013 and its but together Hundreds kitchen cabinets and ceiling features etc. all finish cabinetmaking and commercial millwork.

thats just my opinion, others will have their preferences and it seems theirs a few other milwalkee fans on this thread.

Thanks for your replies guys, yes I was expecting to pay top dollar for decent kit, and to be honest, my Milwaukee drill has performed admirably, so I'd be more than happy to buy another. I'll look into the Fuel range, they sound the business.

I'm currently also looking into putting new cells into my battery and have found this company http://www.drill-battery.co.uk/ who supply copies of my superseded battery, I may give them a go firstly to see how it works out.

Latest posts

Back