Which compound mitre saw to get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Having sorted myself with plunge saw, class M dust extraction, sander, manual plane and router i am now looking at getting a sliding compound mitre saw for light DIY work at home. I think this would be the best type of mitre saw for me and considering my needs, paying a lot more money for a double bevel sliding compound mitre saw would be a waste.

Now the question is which one to go for? I believe Metabo KGS254M gets good reviews and is good value for money. Is there a benefit to me paying the extra £50 or so and getting the bigger brother (KGS305M)?

Any other brands and models i should consider?

I visit a lot of woodyards, and every one of them here has a BOSCH sliding saw in use.

Chlad":1o3qsntb said:
Having sorted myself with plunge saw, class M dust extraction, sander, manual plane and router i am now looking at getting a sliding compound mitre saw for light DIY work at home. I think this would be the best type of mitre saw for me and considering my needs, paying a lot more money for a double bevel sliding compound mitre saw would be a waste.

Now the question is which one to go for? I believe Metabo KGS254M gets good reviews and is good value for money. Is there a benefit to me paying the extra £50 or so and getting the bigger brother (KGS305M)?

Any other brands and models i should consider?
I have the Metabo KS305

It doesn't slide, but I find it more consistent than sliders.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I have the KGS254M. Haven't really had any issues, it's easy to configure and reliable.
I replaced with a Feud blade and the cuts are beautiful.

If I was to buy a gain though, I would definately be looking for a soft start. When trying to make accurate cuts, the piece can move as the saw starts. But the easy work around is to clamp it.

Have you picked those because that's your budget, or because you've heard good things about them? If the latter, what's your budget?

transatlantic":h5zwqqou said:
If I was to buy a gain though, I would definately be looking for a soft start. When trying to make accurate cuts, the piece can move as the saw starts. But the easy work around is to clamp it.

I was hoping the KGS254M would have soft start. Shame. I believe the Makita ones do but they are more expensive and apparently the cut isn't very square.

LancsRick":h5zwqqou said:
Have you picked those because that's your budget, or because you've heard good things about them? If the latter, what's your budget?

A bit of both really. Have heard good things about the Metabos (best value or money and quality and design). My budget is £300 max.

I have the kgs 254 haven't cut anything of great size with it yet to see if there is repeatable accuracy but it's a well made tool
I wouldn't worry too much about soft start my wife can use it quite happily with being bothered by the kickback and she's tiny
And it allowed be to get the evolution mitre saw stand from Screwfix and still come in cheaper than the Makita I was looking at

My KS305 has soft start, as does my DeWalt tracksaw. The lack of jolting when you start them is nice, but I am not a fan of the weird pulsing noises as the speed controller dials the power in on them; it is sort of annoying.

Induction motors are so much better, but there is only one mitre saw that has one - and I think that's a Metabo actually - and it is pretty big.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I have the KGS 216 This and it's bigger brother, slide the same amount, It's only the depth that varies. I got it after being impressed with the same one my mate got, He was a pro joiner in a previous life and in hindsight he would have gone for the 254 ( but I only cut planks for boxes anyway)

marcros":kiie6elr said:
maybe not quite relevant, but have you seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdmzQKuDWLU

Funnily enough that is the plunge saw that I have as well. And it's brilliant for straight cuts. I wish someone came out with a proper metal built jig which would allow you to mount your plunge on it and turn it into a sliding mitre saw. That would be superb option for customers although it would be good for the manufacturers profits.

Chlad":2vfq5v9o said:
Bodgers":2vfq5v9o said:
My KS305 has soft start,

The KS does not slide though.
Yes, I did point that out in my comment. But the question is, do you need it to slide? With a 305mm blade, it can cross cut up to 200mm and you don't get the slop that is in most sliders...

Bodgers":t7o7ud6g said:
But the question is, do you need it to slide? With a 305mm blade, it can cross cut up to 200mm and you don't get the slop that is in most sliders...

The cutting capacity at 90' seems to be fine at 200mmx80mm. I can live with that because anything wider I can use my plunge and if the wood is thicker than 80mm then I can turn the wood over (which I assume can be done and wont cause any damage?).

However at 45' it's only 130mmx45mm which is quite low compared to the sliding version which is 205x67mm. I'm only a DIYer and don't have much experience so perhaps someone with more experience can give me an idea if I am ever going to need more than 130x45mm at 45' cutting angle? Bearing in mind that I am only doing stuff around the house and garden and nothing on professional scale.

The other isse is that the KS305M is either the same or more in price than the KGS305M model. Not to mention that it has become hard to find.

Any advice?

Chlad":1h5xnc2w said:
Bodgers":1h5xnc2w said:
But the question is, do you need it to slide? With a 305mm blade, it can cross cut up to 200mm and you don't get the slop that is in most sliders...

The cutting capacity at 90' seems to be fine at 200mmx80mm. I can live with that because anything wider I can use my plunge and if the wood is thicker than 80mm then I can turn the wood over (which I assume can be done and wont cause any damage?).

However at 45' it's only 130mmx45mm which is quite low compared to the sliding version which is 205x67mm. I'm only a DIYer and don't have much experience so perhaps someone with more experience can give me an idea if I am ever going to need more than 130x45mm at 45' cutting angle? Bearing in mind that I am only doing stuff around the house and garden and nothing on professional scale.

The other isse is that the KS305M is either the same or more in price than the KGS305M model. Not to mention that it has become hard to find.

Any advice?
It all depends on what you end up doing. On my sliding Dewalt 205mm, I ran into limitations first with the depth of cut - it couldn't cut a 100mm fence post in one go for example, whereas my Metabo with the 305mm blade makes quick work of that.

So for me, it is more useful that a chop saw cuts deeper than wider. Together with the fact it has no slop and is more powerful,. makes it the better machine. You might be doing different stuff.

I bought mine last year for about £260 from FFX. Looks like they are out stock now.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

I've gone for the Metabo KGS305M for £270. Soft start, decent width and depth of cut and laser. Single bevel but that is fine with me. I dont mind turning the wood over when needed.

Could have saved around 20cm of space if I had gone for some Makita models but I would have had to pay double the price for it. The KS305 was impossible to find. A few places that sell it were asking £400+ which I am not prepared to pay.

So the KGS305M is the best value for money in my view.

Thank you very much for your advice everyone.

Glad you've chosen something that you're happy with - let us know how you get on with it when it arrives as I'm sure there are others searching in the same price bracket :)

Good move Chlad, I have found Metabo to be a reliable brand
Have their 318 Bandsaw and Random O Sander; sold a
Metabo KGS216M recently - excellent machine - to make way for a Bosch Axial 12 inch glide, it requires less bench space than the Met

Is the blade that comes with the Metabo a decent one for general cutting such as 2x4 or mdf skirting boards? It's a 56 teeth carbide saw.

Latest posts

Back