Which chuck ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a chuck for a Wadkin RS to securely hold hubs for wooden wheels while I finish them off and bore them for the metal axles. They're roughly 9" long and 6" diameter.
The ones I've been looking at are the Oneway Stronghold, Sorby Patriot and Axminster Evolution. Is the Oneway worth the extra money and which is the better of the other two or are there others I should consider ?
I'm currently using a big engineering chuck and it doesn't hold very well

Can I put the vicmarc into the mix?

Horrendously expensive here, but sensibly priced from timberbits in Australia. Good range of jawsets, and where you are doing repeat work you can probably choose some that are ideal for the job.

I have never used the others. It may well be that all are equally as good.

I didn't notice - I PMed Nev earlier. :D Thanks, Nev. Phil P is posting in a couple of threads, and it was time to save any confusion. He's been here longer, but of course his user name being a full stop different it didn't show when I registered. At one time or another I've corresponded with scores of people here by mail or email and they already know my name, so it makes no odds.

Thanks to Marcos I've ordered the 150mm Vicmark from Timberbits in Australia along with a couple of sets of shark jaws .

Max Power":38ilbazh said:
Thanks to Marcos I've ordered the 150mm Vicmark from Timberbits in Australia along with a couple of sets of shark jaws .

has your order turned up yet? I placed one a few days ago and just wondered how long they were taking? I did select the cheapest postage option though so I guess it will be a little while.

"sensibly priced from timberbits in Australia."

Hi Marcros. Do you know whether the Timberbits prices on their website are in US or Australian dollars? If the latter the prices seem very 'sensible'. Thank you for the pointer.

Australian dollars, and international slow shipping seems to be cheaper than within Australia.

shipping time isnt too bad at the moment. I was given tracking details for 3 jaw sets, and it sat for about a week at one stage. After that it was pretty quick. a couple of weeks all in for AUD10!

Thank you Marcros. I have been looking at buying another chuck when I came across your message. I hope to place an order on Tuesday. I asked about the currency because I was caught out in New Zealand earlier this year when I wrongly assumed that prices given in dollars were NZ dollars.

Back