Which chip/dust collector / vacuum to keep?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Being a hoarder, I keep buying things that I think I might need...

...I now have 3 dust / chip collection devices in my possession: a 1000W 15L "ShopVac", a Record Power CX2000 Dust/Chip collector with a 100mm hose, and now a Aximinster BB100 50L Dust Collector with 63mm hose I acquired from eBay for not a lot of money. I have adaptors for the hoses so that's not an issue.

Which ones should I move on and which one should I keep? Bear in mind that I only have 1/2 a single garage for my wood working.

Thanks.

Adrian

I'm in the same situation, in having 1/2 a garage to work in. So I too am pushed for space.
Can't claim to know the machines you have, except the CX2000, which doesn't have great reviews and doesn't claim in the spec to catch fine dust. The question I'd ask myself is which of these does the best job at catching fine dust?

I can sweep the floor of chippings, but the fine dust clogs your lungs after time.

If the answer is, "none are great at fine dust", then I'd sell all 3 and get something that does collect down to 0.5 microns, unless, of course, you don't sand anything much.

RichardG":1pz6mlkl said:
Is the other half of the garage taken up with hoardings? :lol:

Yes. Wife's hoardings (aka groceries / household items etc). [-(

RickG":1pz6mlkl said:
Can't claim to know the machines you have, except the CX2000, which doesn't have great reviews and doesn't claim in the spec to catch fine dust. The question I'd ask myself is which of these does the best job at catching fine dust?

From memory the CX2000 filters down to 0.5 micron (or at least that's what I think it says on the machine. The BB100 has a HEPA filter bag over another washable filter. The TacLife ShopVac has a vacuum bag, a washable filter and a foam filter, but not sure how much it filters down to.

Does everyone else have a "filter system" and a shopvac to tidy up afterwards?

Adrian

Back