which bench vise..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

For a long time I am thinking to build my own workbench. Much time is taken to think at which type of vise I should use.
I have seen that there are two most common types:

this

end_vise.jpg

and this:

FV-TopView.jpg

Can you explain me what are the advantages / disadvantages?

Thanks in advance

Hi Gabriele - I am planning to make a new bench also. I will go for the second type because it allows me to move work horizontally to exactly where I want it. However, I'm not an expert and I'm sure some other members of this forum will give much more detailed explanation of the merits of each type. (Edit for spelling!)

Geppetto..

Losos just about hit it on the head; the first vice lets you move stock to any position on a vertical axis... the second- the same freedom in a horizontal axis.

Cost wise, the hardware for the first is less expensive, but the extra joinery involved will cost way more than you'll save.

Bottom line is choice depends entirely on what you build and your working style... Franz Klaus is an avid fan of the first (btw it's a shoulder vice), saying it's ideal for making chair components. The second is known as a face vice...

Hi All,
mmhh, what i want?
I am at first approaches of woodworking. Now, I haven't a true workshop. My workshop is outdoor :roll: under a shell, and the bench is composed in a vise like the second type (face vise built by myself) attached to a thick board of black locust wide 15 cm only :shock:
All is over an old bench fixed with bar clamps.
For me it works well.
However, in my little experience I have find that often, the workpiece must be slides in vertical movement.
Therefore after yours bright advices, I am estimating if to build the first type instead the second.

If anyone will bright me again, will be welcome.

Thanks

Oooooooh Alf!! Just when (after months of humming and haaa-ing) I had decided on a front vice for my bench,.....you've just blown my plan out the water! :)

Great link!

Cheers
Scott

Yes, great link indeed.
What about that veneer saw. I've never seen one like that before.

Andy

Andy,

That is for the real knuckle draggers! I'm told that you (or two of you maybe!) can saw veneer precisely with such a beast not as thin as modern knife cut veneer but down to a sixteenth or so. I prefer a bandsaw!

Credit for the link should really go to BugBear's Workbench links page. An essential bookmark for the budding bench builder.

Gabriele, the one thing I'd say about the first type is you have to lean over the full thickness of the vice to get to the work, which could be a major pain. I know that just with a face vice I often curse the thickness of the jaw. Just a thought.

Cheers, Alf

I'm being thick again but I don't understand how the vice works in the fourth pic down in the link Alf posted. I don't see how the side blocks are being moved. Does both the side block and the main vice face move together all the time?

tailvise.jpg

Cheers

T

Alf,

It's right :?
I think it will be better to achieve the jaw wider of the rails.
I would think about 10 cm to lock the workpiece in its vertical movement. :roll:

Back