Which bench top thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchhounds

Established Member
Reaction score
Im in the market for a benchtop thicknesser. I hear good things about the Makita 2012NB and the slightly cheaper Metabo DH330. Any users out there? My heart says Makita although from what I understand the Metabo is wider. Any other suggestions?

I've previously owned the Electra Beckum version of the Metabo, it was a very capable machine.

this is a machine a rarely use, but when I do, I beat it - I've had great luck with a dewalt 734. A now-defunct delta model (22-580) before it didn't last long - the retaining bar for the blades appears to have doubled as a chipbreaker, got bent and that was the end of that (that part was never in stock and most of those probably got pitched).

Everything is probably up in price, but 8 years ago or so, the 734 was $349 US or roughly 250 pounds (add your vat).

I see the current price here is now $479.

The makita is $730 here - i don't know if it actually brings that price or the distributor to the US is just a pig. The amazon picture boldly says "made in China on the spec panel on the front of the machine and $749 is the most common listed price. I don't get it.

I bought a used 110v Makita 2012 approx ten years ago. Mainly for site use but occasional workshop duty when a machine is down. Only ever had to put fresh cutters in it. Brilliant machine 👍

Guess it depends what you want to spend. I have the Axminster AT330ST bench-top thicknesser. The spiral cutter head gives an excellent finish, even on dense and figured woods. No snipe when properly calibrated. Still loud as they all are but a great little machine.

Years ago Axminster did a really top notch thicknesser.
15", it was an absolute beast and could handle about anything. We use it primarily with oak and it was in use much of the day every day for ,what would now be its 3rd decade. Type of thing would be thicknessing 10 1" rough sawn oak boards at a time. with someone waiting to thickness another ten.

If I could get one of these now I'd jump at it. Super bit of kit :cool:

Anyone sees one - Buy it.

Axminstere thicknesser.jpg
78925395_2437651163161447_6451395960718229504_n.jpg

Hello,

I also have the Makita 2012NB. The build quality of this machine is excellent and the results are superb. I have not had any issues with it and although I looked at other models (Dewalt, Metabo etc), I do not regret buying the Makita at all and would give it 10 out of 10 for performance and build quality. Personally I would highly recommend it. It worked perfectly right out of the box and I have been using ever since for the last few years as a workshop based thicknesser. I have little space so needed a smallish benchtop machine and this ticked all the boxes.

An upgrade option for a spiral cutter head is available from some suppliers online and may be something worth considering if not too expensive. Some woodworkers highly recommend a spiral cutter. Would be nice but as yet I have not seen the need, and get perfect results as is, even with oak and other hardwoods. I always only make a small cut at a time which I think helps in many respects.

Hope this helps. There the many makes, models and options available. I suppose it depends on your budget and what you expect of want from such a machine and how much use it will get.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back